Chapter 12

My feet were throbbing as I released them from the pain-inducing heels that had tortured me all night. My head was pounding in the same rhythm as my feet and the high alcohol intake of the evening made it hard for me to stand up straight. I promised myself that if I just managed to get myself home, I would never let Vanessa convince me to drink again. But then again I always promised the same things when my body was filled with Friday's poison.  

The night was slowly turning into morning as my bare feet started to find their way home. My thin dress wasn't succeeding in keeping the cold wind out and I could slowly feel how my  body started to shake. Maybe it was the fact that his apartment was closer than mine or the fact that the alcohol made it feel like a great idea because I suddenly found myself standing opposite Harry's apartment. I knew that this was something he maybe wouldn't appreciate, my stopping by in the early morning. But my cold body was screaming for him.  

As I was about to cross the street, I heard a voice that made me step back instead. On the other side of the street I could see Harry open the door. He held up the door and out came a girl. She was smiling excessively as I heard Harry tell her a joke he had told me only days before. The girl stepped out and I recognized her but I couldn't figure out where I'd seen her. As they said goodbye, Harry pulled her close to him. He wrapped his arms around her in a way he had never done with me. Like she was his world. He whispered something in her ear and then they let go of each other. Harry went back inside and she walked down the street.  

Suddenly I remembered who she was. She was the one from the hospital, the nurse who had known Harry's name. But he had said it was just a coincidence, that she had mistaken him for someone else. The more I remembered the more the pieces fell into place. Panic shot through my body like gun shots. I squeezed my eyes shut and it all got dark. I started to run, run without any destination, run without feeling anything. The only thing I felt was the gravel under my bare feet as it tore them up and left bleeding wounds. Everything else was numb. I couldn't feel pain. Not even the cold wind affected me anymore. I just ran, ran away from my feelings. There was just the road and the night, being as one, leading me away from the pain, leading me away from him.