CHAPTER 1: A New Day

It was a warm, sunny spring morning, or so it was outside. Inside the bedroom though, it was dim, cool and was filled with the sound of snoring until an alarm clock went off. The sounds of scattering on the bed could now be heard along with the clock. After he frantically turned off the clock, Alfred rolled on his side and groaned. Alfred hated waking up early, but he later remembered why he had to get up at 6:30am.

Alfred quickly took a shower and got dressed in his best casual clothes. He looked in the mirror to brush his hair, careful not to hit his cowlick that never wants to go down. After looking himself over he replied to himself, "Today's the day Alfred! You're going to find that special someone today! Whoever it is won't be able to resist ya!" Alfred had said this to himself the same day, every year since he was eighteen. For when a person turns eighteen in this small town, all the eighteen year olds would gather in the town square and try to find their "soulmate." This wasn't too hard, because when they'd find their soulmate, both their chests would glow. If the person however doesn't find their mate that year, they can wait until next year to try again. If they had the money they could travel to one of the other "special" towns in the U.S. or travel across the world to a similar town/village. They could just marry someone who's chest didn't glow like theirs, but most try to find their true soulmate before they do that.

Alfred has been looking for his soulmate for four years with no luck. He's still young though, 22yrs., so he's still trying his small town in Texas. Alfred just has this feeling that he's going to find his soulmate this year. Something in his mind is shouting at him that he's going to find that special someone he's been looking, waiting for. What Alfred didn't know was that his soulmate was first, not from his country and second, not the person he'd expect.