Chapter 13

DECA Trip pt. 1

I told aunt Gwen about Ryan's drug use. I took some convincing. But he eventually fessed up to using and aunt Gwen was devastated. I would be too if I found out my child was dealing with drugs. I didn't show aunt Gwen the pictures. I did show them to Ryan. I told him he has to clean himself up. He could lose his place in the school and the soccer scholarship already lined up for him. The rest of the day was tense. After telling aunt Gwen about his drug use, she sent him to his room. She said she couldn't think. I left her alone on the dining table and went to go finish packing. I couldn't be around her any longer. Telling her made me forget about what I learned, but after it came rushing back. I know I should tell her. Have her explain. But it was a secret that died with my parents.

I stayed in my room for the rest of the day. This family was slowly breaking and I didn't want to think about when we finally just break altogether.

***

The day finally came. The trip. Four days of intense marketing competition. This year I was in Professional Selling and the basic individual series. I had months to prepare for the Professional Selling event. The individual series could be anything. I didn't find out until I showed up and even then I only had 10 minutes to prepare. I was nervous. Scared. But I had to push through. Last year I staged. This year I will plan to go to Nationals. I won't be too disappointed if I don't; I still have junior year and senior year. But if I did make it, that would be great too.

My aunt insisted on dropping me off at the school. I couldn't say no. So I packed my luggage into her car and sat through an uncomfortable silence. Well... it was uncomfortable to me. My aunt was jamming to the radio and focusing on her driving to pay attention to my awkwardness. By now, that's how it felt; more awkward than anger or frustration.

We made it to the school and I quickly got out and said goodbye. She smiled and said goodbye. She drove off and I waddled to the Banquet Hall. I met up with Carol and Riley who were seated on the stage with the rest of the DECA team. Some senior was the president and Sebastian was the Vice President. He waved hi and I waved back.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi," I replied.

He gave me a hug and I melted into him.