Chapter 18

Time really does stop. I looked on at my aunt who only had her hand over her mouth. She sat on the stool and placed her head in her hands. I couldn't sit down. I didn't want to. I continued to look at her, waiting for her to respond. She was still, frozen in this very moment.

"Grace, I-" she stopped herself and took in a deep breath.

"I want to know the truth," I said, a little too calmly. I noticed her hands shaking. I was probably shaking too but I didn't notice. I had my arms at my sides. I was numb all over. Pins and needles were prickling me all over. Gwen sat down on one of the kitchen island stools. She was quiet for a while before she started to speak.

"I moved in with my sister after I was kicked out of my apartment," she began. "I was an intern at a radio station. That and my side job of selling my paintings I made enough to get by. One day I didn't sell anything and that was when it went downhill. Being an intern wasn't enough and I couldn't pay my bills. I was kicked out of my apartment and lived in my car for a week. The car belonged to our mom so I didn't have to worry about it being taken away.

"Your mom was probably about a month being pregnant with you at the time. She was going to be a mother and I didn't want her worrying about her failure of a sister. But she found out and of course, her being her, she offered to let me stay in her house. The extra bedroom was going to be yours when you were older but she decided to let me stay there for a bit. I thought things were looking up for me. She was my light in my dark time and I was grasping for it, desperate for some light.

"It was about two weeks when it first happened. Your mom was out doing things. Being pregnant wasn't going to stop her from being productive. I didn't realize it at the time but she was looking for a job for me." She stopped. I wanted her to continue. Half of me wanted her to stop. She continued after a few minutes.

"Your dad was at work. At least he was supposed to be. I had an interview for a new job so I took a shower to make myself presentable. I was stepping out the shower when I saw him. He was standing by the door looking at me in a way I couldn't even describe. I remember wrapping my towel tighter around me. He stepped forward and closed the door shut behind him. I didn't know what to do. I remember the way he grabbed my wrists and pinned me to the bed. I couldn't move. It's scary when you don't have control of your own body. I cried the whole time. I know you love your father and I- I didn't want your image of him being tampered. I never planned to tell you.

"I was trapped. He told me if I ever tried to leave or tell anyone he would hurt you and your mom. Your mom caught him one day and she went crazy. She was in denial and she went crazy. She kicked me out and I again had nothing. It wasn't later until I learned that- that I was pregnant." I couldn't handle it. I opened my mouth to say something. I couldn't. I ran out of the kitchen and out the front door. I didn't know where I was going but I continued to run. I stopped finally and fell on the wet grass. Tears were streaming down my face. I was in some park, alone.

I sobbed and sobbed until I realized I wasn't alone.

I looked up and saw a little girl staring at me. She must've been no more than 7 years old. She had two pigtails and was wearing a yellow sundress. I didn't say anything to her. She took a step foreword and handed me her stuffed toy. I hesitantly took it.

"Her name is Katie. She helps when I am sad. Maybe she can help you." She smiled and turned to walk away before I could say anything. I saw her run to a lady who I assumed was her mother. Her mom picked her up and they walked towards their car. I looked down at Katie. She was a brown stuffed teddy bear who was missing an eye. There were stitches all over her body and it looked like her tail was ripped off and stapled back on.