Chapter 1

Tess' Point of View

The world fades away as I place my pink earphones in my ears, the soothing strains of "Chasing Cars" enveloping me in a cocoon of sound. It's the same routine every day, a ritual that offers a brief escape from the exhausting demands of college life. I'm only a sophomore, yet it feels as though I've been carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders for an eternity. High school, with all its trials, now seems like child's play in comparison. I chuckle wryly at the thought, shaking my head as I trudge through the grass towards the shortcut that will lead me home more quickly.

A sudden, desperate cry pierces the air, shattering my momentary peace. "Please, stop!" a man's voice cries out, raw and filled with terror. My heart leaps into my throat, a cold wave of fear washing over me. "Help!" he screams again, his voice strained with urgency.

Compelled by a mix of dread and concern, I move closer, my steps tentative as I approach the alleyway. My fingers fumble to unplug my earphones, hastily shoving them into my bag. The scene that unfolds before me is like something out of a nightmare. A man with curly brown hair, cascading to his shoulders in unruly waves, has another man pinned against the rough brick wall. His eyes, a piercing green, are filled with a chilling intensity. The victim's face is contorted in agony as the assailant smashes his hand against the bricks, the sound of bones cracking mingling with the sickening thud of flesh on stone.

In the assailant's left hand, a glinting blade catches the fading daylight. With a swift, brutal motion, he slashes the man's throat. Blood sprays in an arc, and the victim's gurgling cry cuts through the air. A gasp escapes my lips, my body trembling with a mixture of horror and disbelief.

"Who's there?" the killer's voice is low, rough, and oddly enticing, carrying a sinister undertone.

"I said, who is there?" he roars, his voice growing more guttural and ferocious. He lets the knife fall to the ground with a clatter, his eyes scanning the shadows where I stand frozen.

My survival instincts kick in, and I turn on my heel, sprinting in the opposite direction. The sound of footsteps pounding behind me and a dark, mocking laugh fills my ears, spurring me to run faster. Panic surges through my veins like a live wire, propelling me forward as I pray for escape.