Sync Ch. 4

“What did you mean this morning when you said you were scared for competition for the first time since you’re first meet?” I swallowed my anger from earlier and yesterday to find out what I meant.

During school, my life had pretty much shut down. Talia was angered by jealousy, and Emmy was angered by the thought of losing me. Lunch had been awkward and silent while none of us had a real appetite for anything at the point.

He gave an angered laugh, barely turning his head. “You know, you’re name has been thrown around a bit in practices and pep talks all around the world. Everywhere I’ve stayed to learn, the coach always says ‘Look out for that Hannah Cardin girl; she’ll rip you to shreds.’ when we apply to compete in Ohio. I’ve competed against you for years and have gotten my ass handed to me. And you know what?” He was turned around at me completely, the anger in his voice bringing out his original Italian accent. His face was flushed red, and his mouth was clenched.

I was shocked. “W-what?”

“I’ve never seen what the judges like in you. I’ve always been better than you. Why was I always second place to you? Why are you the one with the offer to practice with one of the best teams in the world when I deserve it? Why do you get what I’ve been working for my entire life? Life’s a bitch, but no one should feel this.” He yelled before storming away.

“I don’t even know if it’s me! Deveon, don’t get so angry!” I said, running after him and grabbing his arm. God, I was going to yell at myself for this later…

“Don’t act like any of those amateurs could ever do what you can for that team. Give it a year; the Olympic coaches will snap you right up. They’ll leave little old me in Ohio, never being able to swim my team because synchronized swimming is a women’s sport.” He said, staring into my eyes deeply. “And don’t touch me. I just need to go home.” Ripping his arm out of my grasp, he softened his tone before slowly looking me up and down and marching away to his car.

I stared after him, breathing quickly. I was known in other countries? No, that wasn’t possible. I can’t be the feared one when competing; I’m always fearing the foreign guests, never the other way around. At least, I didn’t think so.

Was it possible that I was important in other countries?

***

“Hannah Cardin: The One to Fear in Next Weeks National Synchronized Swimming Competition?”

The headline blared at me from the New York Times newspaper. Of course, it was only a tiny article in the sports section (the one normally went upon by the dogs of uninterested women in their 40s), but I was in the New York Times.

“Mom! Come look at this!” I screamed, jumping up and down after a few moments of shock.

“I’m coming, I’m coming!” She yelled back before opening my door gently and poking her head in. “What’s wrong?”

“Come look at this newspaper article!” I wave at her, still jumping. Walking in, she stares at me oddly before bending and skimming the article, her mouth dropping.

“Oh my god! Hannah!” She stared jumping up and down with me. We were screaming and jumping around when she stopped and looked at me. “Wait, you still have state competition. Why is this out now?”

“This is last year’s nationals.”

“Wait…then why didn’t you show this to me when it came out?” She exclaimed, looking at me.

“I didn’t know they did this,” I say, staring dreamily at the picture of me in the gold medal at state competition last year.

“We have to frame it!” She leaned over me, hitting the “print” button. I smile at her, shaking my head. Squealing one more time I jump on my bed after waving my mother out the door.