Sync Ch. 7

The sunlight that attacked my eyelids in the morning is what woke me up. Both Deveon and I were on our sides, and his arms were practically suffocating me.

“Ohhhhhhhh,” I moaned. “Deveon. Deveon, wake up!” I hit him in the chest, waking him up from his snoring sleep.

“Dang it, Hannah, I wanna go back to sleep.”

“You know what, Deveon, you really shouldn’t have kids. I have a feeling that you wouldn’t work well with them.” I said angrily, stomping over to my bag on the rock. “I’m probably going to be late for school!”

“Um, Hannah?”

“What?” I yelled, turning around, changing from my pajamas to the school clothes I had packed. A purple shirt and jean shorts.

“One, your clothes are so boring. You really need to change the purple and jeans things up a bit. And two, the late boat sailed off about two and a half hours ago.” He said meekly, crouching into the ground.

What?

“Oh hell no. What time is it?” I asked, my voice whining.

“It’s eleven forty.” He whispered.

What!?

“Oh, shit, I have to go. And so do you. Come on!” I yell, throwing my bag over my shoulder before taking Deveon by the ear and dragging him through the woods.

After about two minutes of “ow”, three minutes of “Are we there yet?”, and four more minutes of “I think you got us lost, Hannah!”, we finally got back to our cars.

“You take your car, I’ll take mine. I’m waiting five minutes after you leave to make it seem like we didn’t come together. Got it?” I growled in his face, my keys in my right hand.

“Hannah, why’d you change? Last night you were so sweet, but now you’re back to your old self? What did I do?”

He didn’t do anything, it was mostly me. I didn’t want to like him as anything, not even a friend.

“You didn’t do anything. I don’t like people. I don’t like you. I don’t think we should hang out much more.” To admit the truth, I was scared. I was scared of last night. How he made me do things I never would’ve done without him. He didn’t have to try to talk me into it…it just…happened. And I wasn’t going to let myself be vulnerable. The last thing I want to do is get pushed around by some Synchro jerk.

“I like hanging out with you though.” He whispered, saddened a bit. I get behind his rude exterior; he’s a soft, thoroughly roasted marshmallow.

I was very hungry.

“Deveon, it’s really not healthy for either of us. I’m going to make you sick. Not even Casey could stand me like this.” I said back, sounding heartless but not really wanting him to think it’s his fault.

“Fine, I guess. I’ll be leaving now.” He slowly walked to his car, getting in and driving off. I waited the five minutes I promised before driving to the school, silent with a hatred for Deveon, life, and mostly, myself.

***

“Where were you this morning?” Emmy immediately sounded when she saw me sitting at our usual lunch table.

“My alarm mal-functioned. It never went off this morning.” I told them, looking majorly annoyed.

“Oh, damn girl, that sucks…oh, new necklace!” Talia exclaims, leaning over the table to grab the necklace around my neck.

I forgot to take it off…

“No!” I screamed, grabbing her hand. She looked at it.

“It’s a heart that says Deveon, Emmy!” She squealed, falling back onto her seat and shaking and screaming.