Sync Ch. 9

“Oh my god, he actually asked if he was gay?” Emmy exclaimed, sitting at her computer. Talia and I were sleeping over at her house. I was sitting on the bed, looking through Emmy’s collection of books so I could steal a couple to read while Talia was looking through a Cosmopolitan quiz book. There were some pretty interesting adult quizzes in it, but I preferred the CosmoGirl quizzes to those ones.

“Yes! Erik and Mitchell literally fell out of their chairs from laughing so hard!” I exclaimed, moaning.

“And what did Deveon say?” Emmy turned from her computer to look at me. I sighed.

“Deveon looked at me for a long while before turning back to my dad, and thinking it was a hilarious joke, told my father he was. My dad grew up with a strong Christian background. What happened next was not pretty.”

Talia sat up; distracted from the quiz she was taking for a moment to hear the story. “What did he do exactly?” She asked, closing the book on her finger to hold her place.

“Well, he went over and pulled the bible and vial of holy water we hold in our side table beside our couch in the living room and went over to Deveon to pray to him. Deveon started running and eventually my dad was chasing him around, holding the open bible in the air and shaking holy water at him while screaming, ‘The power of Christ compels you!’ Then my dad got water in Deveon’s eyes, so Deveon started running around screaming ‘Dear god it burns!’ while my father continued to chase him.” I said, sighing a bit. I was being sarcastic, but neither of them could really hear sarcasm in my voice; I always sounded the same.

There was a few second of silence before Emmy and Talia both started rolling around on the ground, tears in both of their eyes while they clutched their stomachs.

“Are you serious?” Talia asked, sitting up and catching her breath, still holding her stomach.

“Of course not you guys. My dad wouldn’t do that! My grandmother on my dad’s side maybe, but not my dad.” I told them, laughing a bit.

“Well it would’ve been really funny if it had happened that way!” Emmy said as she got back onto her computer desk chair. Talia lay back down on the bed.

“Then what actually happened?” Talia asked, looking at me from behind the book.

“There was about a ten minute gap of completely awkward silence. Then my mom started talking about pageants again.” All three of us moaned as I fell back, hitting my head on the wall.

“Hey, Hannah, this quiz says that you like your sex rough.” Talia sounded, reading the book. Emmy gave an uncontrollable giggle.

“Well, I mean, I guess it wouldn’t be all that bad,” I scrunched my face up, thinking.

“You know, I would’ve have never guessed you were into that type of thing, but whatever floats your boat.” Talia shrugged from where she was laying on Emmy’s bed.

“That’s not what I meant!” I yelled, slapping my hand against my face.

“You know, if someone told me she was into the S&M and stuff, I would’ve totally believed them. I mean, I could totally imagine Hannah’s secret life as a dominatrix.” Emmy sounded her thoughts, typing thoughtfully.

“See! I’m not the only one who can see you in leather lingerie carrying a whip!” Talia said, throwing her hands up into the air, causing Emmy to start choking on laughter.

“Guys, this is no laughing matter. I don’t like him. He’s annoying and stubborn and egotistical and-”

“Hannah, he had dinner with your family and from what I’ve heard, it apparently didn’t go as horribly as it could have gone.” Emmy said, throwing a piece of paper at me.