Sync Ch. 5

The drive was only a minute or two; it was the walk into the deep wooded area where no one could hear me scream even if I did so at the top of lungs that was the long part. I had packed a bag quickly with nightclothes and school clothes for tomorrow before yelling at my mom’s that I’d be at Talia’s and won’t be home until after school tomorrow.

After a five to eight minute walk, it opened to this clearing with a crystal-watered lake in the middle. High rocks and almost jungle life surrounded the lake. Plus, there was a waterfall that was around six stories above the lake that ran gently into it. It was the best spot to practice diving or swimming, seeing as the lake seemed almost bottomless.

There was a guy sitting on the only lone rock, staring into the lake. He was wearing a black hoodie and was playing with something in his hands.

Seemed legit.

“I’m assuming it’s you.” I call out, walking slowly to the rock, praying it wasn’t actually a murderer or a rapist.

“You’re right. I just wanted to talk. Don’t get scared.”

“I wasn’t scared to begin with, thank you very much.” I told him, rolling my eyes as I walked over to him, no longer cautious.

“Why did you punch me?” Deveon asked, cupping whatever he was holding out of my view.

“Cause you were lying to everyone. I was angry.” I say, shrugging a bit. Why wasn’t I trying to gouge his eyes out with thumbtacks?

He slid over, making room for me to sit. “That didn’t mean you had to punch me.” He said softly, looking at me.

“I have anger issues, okay?” I muttered, looking away from him.

“Still…” He dragged off, a suggestive tone.

“What is that supposed to…” I stopped, looking at the moonlight shine off of his face. In that moment I realized something that would change everything.

“Are you wearing make-up?” I asked, muffled laughter evident in my voice. His hand flew up to his face, covering his eye.

“No,” He said quickly, standing and putting his back to me.

“You are!” I exclaimed before laughing so hard that I rolled off the rock and was in the mud.

“Shut up! You…bruised me…” He dragged off again, moving farther away. It took me a few moments to gather my strength to not laugh at him.

“What do you mean I bruised you?” I asked, walking over and spinning him around, my breathing heavy from laughing so hard. He just stared at me, his breath light. “Deveon?”

I lifted my thumb and brushed away the powder from under his eye. It was a bright purple color. He looked away from me.

“I gave you a black eye?” I asked, pulling my hand away.

He simply nodded.

“That so cool!” I yelled, jumping up and down. Waiting for me to stop giggling, he stood with his arms crossed and crouched into himself. “What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I can’t compete with this!”

“Yeah you can, just use a bunch of make-up,” I waved him off, rolling my eyes. Was that all he thought about?

“Hannah, they do not make that much waterproof make-up! Besides, there’s no way my dad will let me swim with this shiner. Especially if he finds out it was you who punched me,” He screams, throwing his arms around in the air.

Geesh, he was starting to talk like Talia, always using those arms.

“Then don’t tell him it was…did you just use the term ‘shiner’?”