XII

"Thank you for the hospitality. The room was wonderful." I say grabbing out my wallet.

"But there is no way I'm not paying." I say and he shakes his head putting his hand over mine on the wallet.

"Just take care of that little girl. She's a true gift. That's the only payment I need." He says and I smile.

"I never got your name through this all." I say picking Angela up. He scratches his long white beard and I smile as he answers me.

"Kris."

"Well Kris, thank you so much. I hope you have an amazing Christmas, you deserve it." I say finally putting up my wallet.

Beep beep

I look out the door and see the rental car and smile, looking back at Kris.

"Merry Christmas." I whisper and he nods.

"And to you, a good night." He says and I snap my attention back to him and he nods with a slight smile.

I smile one last time at him, then Angela and I leave the hotel. I open the door and put her in her seat; buckle her up, then I shut the door and walk over to the passenger's side.

"You ready?" He asks and I nod.

"Yeah."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour later we're standing in front of my childhood home. I look over at Nick and he nods me on.

"Angela." I say motioning for her. Nick hands her over and I thank him as I hold her against my side.

"Wanna knock with me?" I ask and she nods smiling.

We both lift our knuckles to the door and I smile at her then we knock.

A few seconds later the door opens and my father appears before me.

"Elise." He whispers and I smile.

"Hey daddy."

~~

Nick's POV

Her father stares at her and I gently move closer to her, sensing her worry.

"It's been so long." He whispers and Elise nods.

"Come here baby." He says and I smile as he pulls her in for a tight hug. Angela hugs my leg as her mommy and grandpa hug then it's her turn to be given a hug.

"Thank you for bringing my family home Nickolas." I nod then step back some.

"And where do you think you're going?" Elise asks turning to face me and I look up at her.

"You brought us here, you stayed with us, you are NOT spending Christmas alone." She says and I smile stepping back onto the porch and looking at Mr. Owens.

"She's right son, come in." He says and I nod following behind Elise and Angela, as they walk into the house. I shut the door behind me and Elise grabs my hand and pulls me behind her into the kitchen.

We move into the kitchen and I slow sensing Elise's unease, as we walk past her mother's closed room.

~~

"Your mother has been asking for you."

I look up at my father as he finishes pouring the eggnog. I look over my shoulder at Nick and Angela as they read Christmas books on the couch, then I turn back to look at him.

"How is she?" I ask and the shift in his gaze gives me my answer, before he even opens his mouth.

"Not good baby. She's weak." He says and I nod.