Pinocchio - Alive

Next in line is Pinocchio! Made in 1940.

Gepetto decided to make a puppet, but in Grimm's fairy tale, the wood to make Pinocchio was given to the old man through a cobbler who was scared of a moaning piece of wood.

I would be too.

A carpenter picked up a strange chunk of wood one day while mending a table. When he began to chip it, the wood started to moan. This frightened the carpenter and he decided to get rid of it at once, so he gave it to a friend called Geppetto, who wanted to make a puppet.

Now, in the movies, the little puppet boy was given life by a beautiful fairy! Not in the Grimm's fairy tale.

"I'll call him Pinocchio," he told himself. "It's a lucky name." Back in his humble basement home and workshop, Geppetto started to carve the wood. Suddenly a voice squealed:

"Ooh! That hurt!" Geppetto was astonished to find that the wood was alive. Excitedly he carved a head, hair and eyes, which immediately stared right at the cobbler. But the second Geppetto carved out the nose, it grew longer and longer, and no matter how often the cobbler cut it down to size, it just stayed a long nose.

Apparently, he was already alive. You know, the moaning and the ability to feel pain kind of gave it away.