Pinocchio - Behind the Mask

Pinocchio was not a sweet little boy who loved Gepetto like a father. He was a complete douche bag in the beginning.

The newly cut mouth began to chuckle and when Geppetto angrily complained, the puppet stuck out his tongue at him. That was nothing, however! When the cobbler shaped the hands, they snatched the good man's wig, and the newly carved legs gave him a hearty kick. His eyes brimming with tears, Geppetto scolded the puppet.

But later on, he did get a bit lovelier by saying how he wanted to go to school and help his father.

The poor innocent boy is then encouraged by a friend to go to "Toyland" to just play all day and have fun. They're turned into donkeys and Pinocchio is sold to the circus where he lame or unable to walk.

...a circus man bought Pinocchio to teach him to do tricks like his other performing animals. It was a hard life for a donkey! Nothing to eat but hay, and when that was gone, nothing but straw. And the beatings! Pinocchio was beaten every day till he had mastered the difficult circus tricks. One day, as he was jumping through the hoop, he stumbled and went lame.

I still get nightmares from the movie but thinking about the story makes it worse!