Chapter 7 - The Probable Genius

Kristina

I rushed downstairs and snatched a piece of bread from the table. This scene is unsightly. I overslept again, yet I call myself the student council president of Lockhart High. Pathetic.

It had been a week since the festival, but everybody still seemed hung over it. Of course, everybody had a great time with their pairs. Me and my pair on the other hand...

Uuughhh.

Since the festival was over, we were required to wear our school uniforms now. For the girls, we had a maroon, three-inches-above-the-knee-length skirt, a white buttoned blouse with a matching maroon vest over it and a small dark-red ribbon above our chest. Black shoes and white socks too. I hated wearing skirts so in short, I hated our uniform.

The boys had it easier. Their uniform consisted of maroon slacks, a white, long-sleeved polo shirt, a dark-red tie and a maroon vest. Our tops were practically the same except for the boys' ties and our ribbons, but I'd kill to wear pants instead of skirts any day.

"Kristina!" mom hollered from the kitchen as I prepared to make a sprint towards the door. I had no time to listen to her complain about my hairstyle, so I immediately escaped. "Wait! Daniel is - "

When I opened the door, my jaw - along with the piece of bread I was just biting - met the wonderful company of the floor.

He caught the falling bread just in time and smoothly returned it to my agape mouth. I mindlessly bit the bread in turn.

There he was. The devil. The perverted zombie. The robot. The butthead kiss-monster.

"...here," my mother breathed when she finally caught up to me.

He was folding his arms upon resting his back on our gate. Yes, we had a gate, if I didn't mention that earlier. My parents always thought it was best if the house was more secure.

"Good morning Aunt Lizzy, Poopy," he smiled brightly at both me and my mom. His smile was so innocent that my mother got tricked instantly. She didn't notice the evil glint in his eye when he looked at me!

"Oh hi there Danny! I hope you and Kristina get along in school!" Mom looked too happy saying that. Why mom. Why.

"That's the problem," he said as he snaked his arm around my shoulder. "We get along too well. Everybody in our class already treats us as husband and wife."

Cue in vomit sounds.

After he made that bold statement, he grinned at me. I stepped on his foot with all my might but only managed to get a small grunt from him. My mother though, chose to ignore my violence and took it as a form of affection.

"That's good to hear! Please take care of my stubborn daughter," she smiled sweetly.

"Mom we don't get along," I grumbled like a kid, but she just giggled. I was being serious, damn it.

"Ah," Daniel glanced at his wrist and squeezed my shoulder. "We're gonna be late. Let's go."

Before I could say anything else, he dragged me towards his car and made me sit in the front seat. I saw my mom wave at us from the window. I quietly lowered my head and took deep breaths. I need to calm down. But I want to kill him.

How dare he kiss me as he pleases? How dare he give me a warning that there were even more to come?

Daniel started the engines and drove us to school. Halfway there, I began to stare at him with a neutral expression. I want to pinch him or kick him or something. But my strength is drained from all the thinking.