Chapter One- Us

{ Chapter One }

It was a Tuesday afternoon and it was exactly like Monday-boring and plain. Having just moved to the town of Sunday, I didn't have any friends yet. This town is too small. If you were to Google it you wouldn't be able to find it, yes I've already tried. Here, like every tiny town, everyone knows everyone else's business. I've also realized that making a proper friend here is a job. A very hard, and stressful job that is. All the teenagers here already have their own cliques, and somehow they find it intimidating to let anybody else in. I've been in Sunday for a month now, and I'm still the odd kid that sits alone at lunch; Or I mean I used to be that kid. Until I felt so humiliated one day that I started skipping lunch Altogether. Now I spend my days in my new found sanctuary, the library.

In the library it's quiet, there's no distractions, or kids for that matter. Not many people in the school find the library useful, that's one of the reasons why I come to the here. I love the silence and that faint smell of paper. I've been moving from place to place since fourth grade. From all the moving I've had to endure over the years, I've learned not to make any best friends, because its harder to leave them behind. For my own good, I've learned how to push people away, and how to make sure they stay that way. I'm used to it now. I tell myself everyday that I'm better this way, life is less stressful. This is why library's are my sanctuary. Library's are as important to me as a church is to a Christian. With that being said, the library is where I sit now. I'm on my laptop with Spotify open, and Water for Elephants in my hands. I hear the entrance door to the library click open. I glance sideways curious and see a boy come in. After he quietly shuts the door I roll my eyes. The library isn't that strict on silence, but that is always a common assumption.

He has messy, dirty-blond hair and I notice his eyes right away, are blue. A deep Caribbean blue, I love them. Is he new? I've never seen him before. Why am I staring, crap now he's staring back at me. I close my eyes and inwardly cringe. My heart is racing, this is nothing out of the ordinary. Usually when I see a substantially charming guy. . . Well this happens. Okay this is where I try to convince myself I don't care any more and look away. Hes probabley just coming in to deliver a message for some random teacher. That is the only sane reason why others would venture in here. So having said that I practically just called myself insane. I pause from reading and glance up again- Whoa!

"Hi, I'm David." A hand was practically almost shoved in my face. I slowly set my book down in the table and looked up again.

"Y-yes?" I stuttered. Can I be any more socially awkward? Why couldn't I be normal and say "Hello I'm Emma nice to meet you." now it's too late for that. This stranger is a perfect example of the kind of boy I only daydream about. Why is he talking to me? I quickly realize he is still waiting for a hand shake. I glance down to his hand and think why? As if he read my mind he retracts his hand. "May I sit?" He asks sounding slightly embarrassed. I would be to if someone did to me what I just did to him. Now I'm regretting not wanting to shake his hand. He probably thinks I'm purposely being a snob. Wait why should I even care, I'm not supposed to want to make friends. Why is he changing my mind? I shake my head to rid my mind of those thoughts. Because for the sake of myself, I cant afford to think that way. There is only so much hurt a single person can endure. I can feel him studying me, I don't mind really, every one does it. I breath in and he suddenly says "Well?". Oh my gosh- I am so forgetful!

"Oh yeah! I'm sorry, Yeah you can take a seat." I motion for him to sit down. That is a mental face palm right there. . .

He smiles, it takes me by surprise. His dimples, gosh they manage to make him even more cute then he was two seconds ago. "Thanks. I'm sorry I don't mean to impose-" He pauses momentarily to lay his computer bag over the back of the chair. "But I'm new here and I don't know many people. And you seemed like you would be a sweet person." He took a seat and folded his hands together on the table. He looks very well mannered. Being a teen in this day and age, this is considered odd that he even has manners. Wait, he called me sweet? Why would you do that? I don't want to want to be your friend.