Heart Strings Version Two - Chapter Four Part One

Well! You know what? I finally uploaded this! xD It's been a while.... Hope you enjoy :)

Chapter Four

Little do men perceive what solitude is, and how far it extendeth. For a crowd is not company, and faces are but a gallery of pictures, and talk but a tinkling cymbal, where there is no love.

-Sir Francis Bacon

Nathan

Walking into the sixth form common room, I felt most eyes on me as usual, but –also as usual- I ignored them and headed straight for the guys.

‘Nathan!’ In a blur of blue, I was in Sam’s arms before I even noticed the undersized ginger teen.

‘Hey,’ I smirked as he let go of me and again migrated to Holly’s side without another word.

So whipped…

‘Na-thaan!’ Pippa Palmer –yes, that was her real name- grinned, taking her turn to throw her arms around me. She was the lead singer of The Phobia, and my muse; the inspiration of Epic Fail.

‘Pippa, ‘sup girly!’ I smiled down at her as I returned the hug.

‘This dump, that’s what! Sorry I couldn’t make it, but I hear from the boys that Saturday’s gig was a hit!’ she said into my ear. I looked up at Ian and Tony who were talking about girls’ body parts as far as I could tell, and David who was looking far too superior for the conversation. I laughed.

‘You could say that,’ I began.

‘And that you sacked three girls from Sam-’

Not true! Or not yet anyway…’

Pippa pulled away and laughed before peering at me carefully. ‘Holly has been worrying about you again…’

‘Tell her to mind her own business,’ I joked as I reached up to tuck a stray strand of dyed purple hair behind Pippa’s ear.

‘Tell her yourself.’

‘Hmm.’ I glanced at Holly who seemed to be scolding Sam for something but he was fiddling with her fingers, not listening, and then they were kissing. ‘Yeah I think she’s busy.’ Pippa stared at the couple with a look of faint nausea in her eyes. She was as much of a ‘lone wolf’ as I was.

‘Well alright-y then,’ she said rolling her eyes. ‘Seriously, those two scare me.’

‘You and me both.’

~x~

As soon as I walked into Psychology, I looked for her; Persephone. She was normally in this lesson with some Adam guy but that day she was alone- thank God. It would be easier that way. I walked over to her with a friendly smile on my face and sat down at the desk next to hers. ‘Hi there.’ The girl turned to face me and then froze. I almost grinned. ‘Persephone.’

‘N-Nathan?’

‘That’d be me.’ She took a moment to recover, and then she was frowning.

‘I don’t know what Aimee told you but-’

‘Hey, hey, hey,’ I laughed, ‘Lloyd didn’t tell me anything. Was she supposed to?’ Persephone raised an eyebrow.

‘She didn’t say anything?’

I shook my head, then brushed the hair from my eyes. ‘Nope.’

There was a pause as she tried to work something out. ‘So… What are you doing?’ I was speechless for a moment. What was I doing? It was a good question. Not one I’d been asked often by girls (barring female teachers).