The Chat

It took awhile over the next few days to come out of my room. I pretended to be sick so I didn't have to go to school and so there was a reason for eating a bunch of ice cream and watching movies all day. I could only imagine what everybody was saying at school about me. On Thursday, my mom decided I should take my temperature. Most people would put the thermometer in a hot beverage but I knew that my mom would make me go to the doctor for a high fever and that is the last place I want to be. Instead, I faked stomach cramps and while I was hunched over, I licked my hands. This made them feel clammy. I learned this trick from Ferris Buellers Day Off and it has worked several times. The week was actually going okay. I was watching Paper Towns when I got this
New message from Dylan. I tossed my phone to the other side of the couch. There was no way I was answering that. I was at the part or the movie where the three main boys start singing the Pokémon theme song, one of them completely drunk, just so that they're less scared to crawl through a hole. A little while later, when the five main characters are making a stop at the gas station on the road trip, when I feel my phone vibrate. I ignore it as I still don't want to deal with the drama. A short time later, I feel it vibrate again. Fine, I thought, I'll see what he wants. I open the chat on Instagram and start reading the messages.
"Hey i need to talk to you"
"You there?"
"James I really need to talk to you."
"Ok talk"
"Listen, I'm sorry about what happened the other day."
"Why'd you do it? What happened in a day?"
"Colin and Ryan happened."
"What do you mean?"
"I mean, I told Colin and Ryan that I was bi and they threatened me and said that if I even acknowledge you they'll send the entire football team after me."
"Oh my god!"
"Yeah but that didn't have an effect on me and they could see that so they said that they'll send the entire football team after you as well and I couldn't let that happen."
"Really?"
"Yeah thats why I looked at Colin."
"Oh I'm sorry I've been so angry with you and everything."
"It's cool."
"So what now?"
"Well I think that we should go see a movie." As I read this message, I spit the water that I had been drinking, out of my mouth.
"Are you asking me out?"
"As a matter of fact, I believe I am."
"But what about Colin and them?"
"Screw them. I'll take a beating for you any day."
"So will you?"
"Go to a movie with you? Yes!"
"Ok but let's keep it a secret for now."
"Ok talk to you later."
"See ya"
And that was it, everything was cleared up, I had a boyfriend, I was happy again. In fact, I couldn't stop smiling. The only problem was, I also had a mob after me. The next day, I went to school pretending like nothing was okay. Dylan had to pretend that he was still ignoring me, but every time he was alone in the hallway when we walked past each other, he would wink at me to remind me that everything was okay. I went the whole day not talking to him. It was torture. Thankfully it was Friday and tomorrow we were going to go see a movie, together. As a couple. Dating. I could not sleep that night because I was so excited. Slowly, I would drift off to sleep and then wake with a start. Finally, I fell asleep. I dreamt of Dylan and I walking on a beach. The next morning, when I woke up at ten o'clock, I had a text from Dylan. Was he going to cancel our date? Was he going to say it was all just a joke?
"Morning babe. Ready for our movie date?" I love my life!