Prologue

"When you fall asleep,

with your head upon my shoulder..

when you're in my arms,

but you've gone

somewhere deeper"

The song silently played in my mind. I know I shouldn't be listening to it. It was Phil's favorite song. But I just couldn't help myself to listen to it and think about everything that went wrong in our miserable little lives. When I listened to the song I could almost feel Phil's head on my shoulder, Phil, the guy who could always make me smile... Phil, the most beautiful boy at the whole school. Phil, the purest cinnamon roll, as we always jokingly said because someone once called him that.

When did it start? I couldn't even remember. One day, everything was good and the next day it all went down into a super massive black hole.

What am I doing? That's another of Phil's favorite songs. I knew things would never go back to normal. Phil would never sit with me again to listen to all those stupid favorite songs of his. He would never lay his head on my shoulder again.

My name is Dan Howell and this is the story of how I went from an ignorant, but happy 17-year-old teenager to an emotional wreck, all in one year.

Let's start at the very beginning.

Phil.

He was the new boy at our school and I instantly knew that I wanted to be friends with him. I felt an uncontrollable draw to him and I couldn't stop it. But Phil was one of those guys who would sit alone at lunch, who would go sit on his own in class even though there was an empty place next to me. I knew I had to make the move, because Phil would never do it.

So it all started on the day I went up to him. It was almost a year ago now, let's call it day 1.