II: Do I Need to Kiss You to Make You Shut Up?

Jalal picked up four chits with some drama.

"Okay Ladies and Gents," he smiled with all the ceremony of a Malibu Game-show host, "The participants for today's debate are . . . Zal Marvin!" there was a large amount of clapping, as a tall, rather rake-like boy with a wide toothy smile and large serious glasses came forward. I instantly felt like I liked him, there was such an unreserved, enthusiastic look on his face.

"Natsie Palham" Jalal continued to read out, as a silent, slightly strange follower of the Goths complete with the purple hair, piercings and tattoos; shuffled forward.

"Next, our latecomer – Leila Mallik!" said Jalal with celebration, as I blushed, thanked my stars for an opportunity this early, and stood up with a mock bow, smiled at everyone and went to take my place. To my joy I noticed that a lot many people clapped, and Jalal himself seemed quite happy.

"And Finally, the fourth participant – Ladies, I give you – Zakir Al Hyder Khan." said Jalal happily with a flourish as Mr Tall-and-dark began to walk towards his position, his eyes trained hotly upon my face.

Quite naturally I huffed, rolled my eyes at him and turned away. Everybody, I noticed seemed to be super excited on seeing Zakir. The twenty other members of the Debate club, especially the eleven women among them seemed almost gushing to the floor with their smiles. I looked on in disgust, as Zakir winked at a shapely girl in a skin-tight mini-dress in the corner, and she then proceeded to tarnish the image of all women on Planet Earth (and elsewhere) by looking like a five year old who'd just met – not only Santa but also the Tooth Fairy.

"He's hot property," said a voice to my right. "Beg your pardon?" I asked quite surprised, turning to see that the thin boy with spectacles – Zal– was making conversation. "Zakir." He confirmed, "He was at Raja R in High School when–"

"Raja Rammohun Roy College has a High School?" I asked, looking incredulous.

"Yes ofcourse," replied Zal looking at me like I was some sort of uninformed Palaeolithic Cavewoman, and in his defence – why am I writing his defence again? – anyway, in his defence, with my marvellous hair, and general untidiness, I did look like one.

"Raja Rammohun Roy High School is quite famous, and that's where he made his mark. He was in almost everything – from Debate to Drama to Volleyball. He represented the India almost every MUN for both years he was in High School, I think! Then, he left and joined Law School, abroad. Cambrige, if I'm not wrong." continued Gregory, as I listened carefully wondering if this amounted to gossip or didn't, "But he came back this year for unknown reasons. Everybody was happy. It seemed to be a testimony of his loyalty."

I stared at Zal like he was stupid or worse. Zal flinched under my stare and turned his eyes away. "Loyalty?" I scoffed, wondering why unlike always I was being so severely judgemental, "Testimony of Loyalty? More of, of Indecision!"

"Well he has decided now." said Gregory, rather timidly now, "people sometimes do get confused. It isn't easy to figure yourself out completely!"

I smiled and nodded. Zal was right: why even I had taken Science in High School with the intention of studying medicine thereafter. Why was I then, being so insensitive to his choices? Evil Inner Leila cackled. "Well, he seems quite popular here!" I said, trying to keep up my end of the conversation.

"Oh yes, he is: Especially among the women. He's got a new one every week, they say." said Zal conspiratorially, "And then, to be quite honest, he is quite handsome. Besides he flirts, dances and plays the guitar, and then – my cousin told me – he has this talent of making every woman feel 'special'."