Puppet #2

Porcelain

Puppet #2

Eirin opened her eyes to see a semi-brightly lit room. She squinted her pale green eyes. They adjusted to the brightness of the room. The room itself was quite bland, but there were a few puppets here and there in various sizes. They were made from a wood that shone softly in the light.

"Puppets...?" She questioned in a whispery voice.

Since when were they here...? Wait a minute...

"Oh, you're awake." A bored voice drawled. It was a young boy's voice, one that she'd heard before.

Blinking furiously and sitting up straighter, the young female looked at her surroundings with full attention. The voice had come from right in front of her.

"Sasori...?" His name slipped out of her mouth when she saw his red hair.

Sasori just stared at her with his grey-brown eyes. He had the first aid box in his hands, the one he had used the night before, and he seemed to be waiting expectantly for her.

"Good...morning..." Eirin nodded her head shyly towards him.

Sasori just gave her a nod of the head, proceeding to kneel down and open the box. "I'm just changing your bandages."

Eirin chewed on her bottom lip. She wasn't sure why this boy was being so nice. She was a stranger; for all he knew, she could have been an assassin out to kill him.

As Sasori replaced the old bandages with new ones, there was a knock on the door, followed by a light creak when it opened. It alerted the female getting treated.

"Sasori," The voice was of a woman. A head popped into the room. It was a middle-aged woman, with purple hair on both sides of her face and in a bun. Her dark eyes scanned the room to find Sasori, seeing his back to her. He had turned around a little to greet his grandmother. What shocked the grandmother, was the other female. "Eirin...!" Her mouth moved on its own accord and her name flowed out in a croaked whisper.

Sasori turned back to Eirin. Eirin just stared with wide green eyes at the middle-aged woman, having no idea what to say. How did she know her? She's never met her in her entire life!

"H-How do you know me...?" Eirin whispered.

"Grandmother...it's difficult to fix humans than it is to fix puppets." Sasori spoke gently.

"Sasori...do you have any idea who this child is...?" Chiyo side stepped into the room and closed the door behind her, taking a few steps forward. Her voice held incredulity.

Sasori raised his brows, turning to his grandmother. He was silent, waiting for her to continue.

Chiyo decided to remain quiet. She didn't speak a word, glancing at the pale girl against the wall. What was she to do?

Eirin felt unnerved about the encounter. Somehow, the middle-aged woman knew her, but she herself didn't know who that woman was.

"Eirin, my name is Chiyo. You can just call me Granny." Chiyo took another step forward and offered a smile, trying to lighten the atmosphere.

In response, the girl gave a small smile.

Sasori fixed the last of her bandages and closed the first aid box, standing up. He left the room quietly, leaving the Granny and Eirin there.

Chiyo looked around the room for the hundredth time - trying to find something to talk about. The girl in front of her wasn't someone that looked like she would start talking because there was another presence.