chapter nine: Asuna

A day passed since we talked with Nori, and I'm waiting for Kirito to finish catching the giant fish Nashida had mentioned at dinner last night.

Everyone's quiet as we wait to see if the fish will take the bait. The pole moves, but Nashida won't reel it in. Another pull, but still, Nashida won't reel it in. A final yank on the fishing pole, this one much stronger than the last two.

Nashida reels the line in quickly then switches with Kirito, who is almost immediately dragged into the water. He gains his footing, and runs towards all of us, pulling the fish with him.

The line snaps, and Kirito freaks, running back to the water. I call for him to watch out, but a second too late. A giant splash, and the monster sized fish appears.

It runs towards us, and Kirito looks at out like it's a great feat in science. I give a sigh and pull out my sword since he won't.

The fish runs right at me, and it takes less than a second to slice it right through the middle, shocking all of the fisherman.

I'm surrounded by fans, but hardly notice them. The only thing I do realize is the message from Heathcliff, I look over at Kirito, and know immediately that he got a message too.

Kirito goes inside to mope, and I begin to get ready. After I'm dressed and have everything I need, I go to get Kirito.

"Come on, it's time to go."

He nods solemnly, and we leave. We run into Nashida on our way out, and he sees us off.

...

When we arrive, we're told that it's time for the boss fight. We don't learn much, except that it's an anti-crystal zone and that we don't know what the boss is.

...

The boss fight begins, and we all rush in. The boss isn't in sight as the doors close, and I listen carefully, trying to decipher where it is... It's above us, it's The Skullreaper, and people begin to panic. It drops to the ground and kills people by groups.

Kirito and I block it as the others attack, but even so, more parole die as we fight. We power up our skills and slash at the boss, barely making a scratch in the reaper's bones.

The battle goes on, and finally, it's down to where we can kill it. Everyone left attacks at once, and it erupts into light, and the Congratulation message appears. We sigh in relief, the battle is finally over.

As we try to rest up, we go over how many we lost... 14. 25 floors to go, we debate how we're going to survive.

Kirito suddenly grabs his sword, and stands up. I ask what wrong, but he only runs and attacks Heathcliff, surprising all of us.

An Immortal Object notification pops up, and Kirito goes on to explain that Heathcliff is the creator of the game, Akihiko Kayaba.

Akihiko goes on to say how he's the final boss, and how Kirito has always been the one that he imagined would be the one to defeat him in the end.

A member of KOB calls Heathcliff - Kayaba, a traitor, and rushes towards him. Without a second thought, Kayaba paralyzes him, and then the rest of us. I collapse in Kirito's arms, and am forced to listen without being able to do anything.

Kayaba gives Kirito a chance at beating the game, and I mentally cringe as I know that Kirito will take it.

I try to talk him out of it, but my words do nothing but go through one ear and out the next. I beg him to think about the twins, to think about our family. I tell him how we can go get stronger, go through the 25 floors, and beat him then.

He only responds with, "I have to."

I wince internally, but know he's right. Who knows how long it'll take to get through the rest of the 25 floors, we might not have enough time left if he doesn't take this chance now.

He promises that he'll win, and leaves me on the ground to watch. Kirito says his goodbyes, and ignores my cries.

The fight begins, and I watch on, my heart beating uncomfortably in my chest. Kirito doesn't use any skills, but he keeps using his sheer strength to attack. Kayaba dodges the attacks easily, and Kirito's sword breaks. I panic, Kayaba's sword begins to glow red as he activates a sword skill and swings downward.

Something inside me snaps, and I will myself to move. I jump in front of Kayaba's sword, sparing Kirito's life.

I fall back into Kirito's arms, and smile at him as my life reaches zero. Tears fall from my eyes as I say ny last words, "I'm sorry. Good bye."

Everything turns dark, but I know with my last passing thoughts that Kirito will win.

***
Sorry, this chapter was super short x.x it would have been longer, but I can't write fight scenes. I'm really sorry, I hope the next few chapters make up for it! Vote, comment, and be amazing. Bye <3