chapter 9

Ethan stepped off the train to Abnegation. Everyone was so calm at the moment.

"Have some...please..." Ethan was greeted by a woman holding a basket containing loaves of bread, passing it out to everyone coming off the train.

Ethan shook his head, and was almost happy at the sight of Abnegation. It was so peaceful and everyone was smiling. Ethan shook off his grin, Abnegation was about to be attacked. He had to warn Marcus Eaton, the faction leader and find his sister.

Ethan's mind flashed back to Jeanine commanding Eric and his Dauntless. The words kept repeating in his head "Eliminate anyone you have to." Ethan could walk freely without support now, the painkillers that Kathryn provided were losing effect, but had got him through the difficult part. Or so he thought.

Ethan had to dodge the herds of factionless coming in through the streets, being offered food, drink and clothes. Marcus Eaton. The man stood next to a factionless child. Marcus directed the shy child to his mother, and she ran to her. They had faces filled with hope as they were finally fed, and hesitantly made their way out of Abnegation.

"Ethan...we're very happy to see you here." Marcus said, they had met before on numerous occasions. Jack Kang and Marcus would often converse during faction meetings, and Ethan was usually in the audience.

Ethan nodded and started after breathing in and out. "We need...to leave right now."

Marcus looked relaxed and was taken back by Ethan's suggestion.

"What's happened? Abnegation..."

"Jeanine is using Dauntless to attack here...we have to get everyone out....now." Ethan was quick and certain with his words.

Marcus tutted and sighed, angered. "I half-expected it would come to this. When will they be here?" Marcus signalled his right hand man to come over, Andrew Prior revealed himself and made his way down to Marcus.

"I don't know. But we ha-" The sound of a hundred footsteps was heard, getting closer and closer. It was the most terrifying sound in the world, the booming of chaos.

Andrew darted back and ran, Marcus went to follow him when Ethan tugged him back with his arm.

"Yes. Your sister..." Marcus squinted as he tried to remember, and opened his eyes in horror. "She was at her house..."

This meant Dauntless would've already reached her. Ethan let Marcus go and breathed hard and deep. His chest pumped like a lion's. The shooting had just started, signalling Ethan to run not away, but toward the Dauntless army. The crackle of bullets continued, as well as screams from all directions. He could just about manage to see Dauntless over the hill and he hid behind a small house. He silenced his hyperventilating as they drew near. He couldn't hide there, he would be gunned down. Ethan savagely tore off his bandage on his leg, gritting his teeth in pain as the bulletwound was open again. He threw himself to the ground and froze, acting dead. If this worked, he would be passed most of the Dauntless march and only patrols would be left. His leg started to bleed a little again, which he supposed was good but hurt ridiculously. By now any painkillers in his system would have worn off and he tried hard to act as still as possible. Gunshots cascaded eerily past him, and he tried not to flinch as boots crunched by his ear.

Just as he had hoped, the Dauntless seemed to have lost any sense of personality, almost in a trance and wouldn't waste time to investigate his body.

The marching Dauntless were far away now, but the smell of burning houses...and innocent victims stung his nose. Suddenly, he was poked in the back by something. He held his breath as he was kicked in the ribs by someone. Ethan continued to play dead. It must have been the patrols, looking for any survivors, he hoped his little sister had hidden in her spot in her room as she had always done. He heard a gun being cocked behind him. He heard the Dauntless use his radio. "I think I got a live one here..." The Dauntless waited, keeping his weapon up and facing Ethan. Ethan opened his eyes to look where the Dauntless was. Ethan heard the response on the radio. "Proceed."