five

" If this was how it's going to be, I shouldn't have loved,
When will I forget you?
Foolishly, I guess I loved you so foolishly."

"I'm sorry Hongki ssi. You and I, we are not meant to be together." Seolhyun said, backing off from him.

Hongki took a step forward.

"No, I'm not going anywhere Seolhyun. I won't leave you, not this time. Please let me stay." he begged.

The girl in front of him shook her head and stepped back.

"But that's what you have been doing all these while. You left me before, didn't you? If you didn't, I wouldn't have died." she started to sob. "I needed you, Hongki ssi, but you left me alone. Why did you do that?" her sobs turned loud as she cried her hearts out.

It was breaking him down. He watched as she dropped down to her knees and cried. He stepped forward, but then she stood up and watched him with hateful eyes.

"Go away. I don't need you. You're nothing, your love is nothing." she spat. His eyes widened.

"You don't mean that, Seolhyun." he replied quietly.

"But I do. I let you go." she said, turned around and ran away.

"Wait!" he went after her, and they arrived at a zebra crossing.

The light was blinking red furiously but Seolhyun didn't seem to notice. She kept running. A car came fast from the distance, and the driver was honking repeatedly.

"Seolhyun!!" he yelled, she stopped and turned around. He looked at the other direction and saw the car was closing to where she was standing.

He ran with all his might, praying that he would be there before the car arrived. He yelled at her to run away, but she didn't seem to hear. Instead she smiled at him, a sad smile he never saw before. She mouthed something just as the honking were near, and the light blinded his eyes.

***

He woke up panting and drenched in cold sweats. He took a deep breath and ran a hand through his hair. He glanced briefly at the clock, it showed 2:15 am.

His hands and feet were cold, and it wasn't because of the air-conditioning.

"It was a dream. It was just a dream." he mumbled as he tried to calm himself.

He leaned back to the mattress and tried to sleep again.

***

He woke up again at 8 am. The house was very quiet as he lied there, staring at the ceiling. His dream left him shaken still and he remembered the way she looked at him before the car hit her.

She said it was his fault.

And he couldn't agreed more.

The accident itself had driven him insane, and now his dead lover was haunting his dream.

He brushed away the thoughts. Seolhyun was still alive, now, and it will stay like that. Nothing would harm her, not if he could help it. He woke up and walked to the bathroom and took a bath. After he dressed up, he walked down to the kitchen. Then his phone rang.

"Hello."

"You ungrateful kid. Where were you for this past few days? Did you know things were hectic in the office these days?" a gruffly voice shouted from the other line. Hongki sighed.

"Hey grandpa. Sorry, I had something going on." he answered politely.

"What is more important than the project!" his grandfather's voice rose and Hongki had to pull the phone off of his ear.