Chapter 10: Names and Questions

            The morning light came through a gap in the curtains and I was woken up by the brightness. Sitting up, I yawned and saw that the dragon was wide awake and peeking out the window. As I got up off the bed, I quickly got changed (Mrs. Harrison had given me a few more clothes though I wondered from where) and spoke more to myself than to the dragon.

            ‘I suppose you want to go outside but not in the day time.’ He chirped at me and I could see from his eyes that he wanted to. ‘I can’t. Someone will see you and we’ll both be in trouble.’ I went to the door and he jumped down off the sill and followed me. Looking down at him, he looked up and gave me a sorrowful stare that I just couldn’t resist. ‘Alright, but if someone tries to run after you with a pitchfork then it’s on your head and not mine,’ I warned him and we both went down the stairs to get some breakfast.

            We went outside and I decided just to take the dragon out with just me thinking it best not to bother Aspen with a dragon riding on him. So we went out the front door and I tried not to grab too much attention straight away. Turning down my head, I looked at the dragon. ‘I think it best if you come up that way no one will try to kill you.’ I opened my arms up and he hopped up and clambered up to where he usually liked to sit.

            It wasn’t long until I noticed a lot of people would move away from me as I passed them in the street; it was only to be expected when I carried a live dragon on my shoulders and not seeming at all bothered by it. Someone even tried to hit him but he had hopped down in time and I got hit over the head.

            ‘What do you think you’re doing?!’ I shouted so everyone nearby heard. I grabbed the broom off the startled lady and threw it on the ground beside me. ‘Has he done anything to hurt you? No,’ I answered myself. ‘He has been merrily sitting on my shoulders minding his own business. Now I would appreciate it if you apologised to me for whacking me over the head.’ I stood there, arms folded and narrowed eyes and glared at the stunned woman.

            She stumbled over her words. ‘I... I’m s...so sorry but it’s a d...dragon.’

            ‘Yes, yes, he is a dragon but he is with me and I’m human so please show some respect.’ And I stormed off with my friend right at my heels.

            We headed right out of town, away from the people and the hassle. My lizard-like friend went on ahead, bumbling about in the hedgerows and scaring a sheep or two when he poked his head through the leaves. He jumped up and down but it was maybe more than I had been seeing while he was doing it. We kept going all the way past the fields, all the way to the beech tree. Whilst I sat on the ground, I pondered over maybe giving my dragon friend a name at last. I had two names in mind depending on what gender he was.

            ‘So what to call you?’ I began as he walked round the base of the tree. ‘Pay attention for a minute.’ He stopped and came over. ‘Now, would you please enlighten me as to what you are? Male or female?’ He chirped and then I had to re-ask not sure what he meant. ‘Ok, one chirp no, two chirps yes. Female?’ He chirped once but just to check. ‘Male?’ Two chirps; so now I knew which meant I knew what to call him. ‘How does Frain sound to you?’ He just leapt off to my right and jumped up into the tree; I stood and looked up at the branch he had finally made his way onto. ‘I take that as you like it or you’re not all that bothered. Well that is what I’m going to call you whether you really like it or not,’ I told him.

            He looked over his shoulder before climbing further up the tree. It turned out to be a sign that there was someone coming. I waited by the tree as though minding my own business but it turned out to be the two boys I had met over a week ago only this time they were walking. They saw me but I tried not to show any attention.