Chapter 12: Speedy Tidings

            As I sat there on the bed, I marked with one index finger where Baedon lay and scanned to see if I could find what I believed to be the dragon city. I had no name for it; no one had told me the name so unless I guessed correctly right now then I would have to ask (I didn’t want to feel stupid not knowing the Tamers city when I was one). There was one near to the top right corner of the map, its name sounded near enough to the Latin for dragon – Dracona. If that was not the city then I couldn’t make any other guesses that sounded so assertive; I would still need to ask to make sure.

            However, from where my two fingers were placed I could tell that the distance between them was a long way even without guessing as to the scale of the map. That would be another thing to ask about or calculate but for now I rolled the map back up, slipped the elastic band back on and hid it under my bed along with the dragon manuscript. Just then, I felt my stomach start to rumble, the biscuits hadn’t been enough to quench my hunger. Walking to the door, I opened it and looked over at Frain who lay slumbering on the bed. Leaving the door ajar, I slipped onto the landing and made my way downstairs. As I reached the bottom I heard voices, they didn’t sound friendly by listening to the tones.

            Stopping on the second to last step, I listened closer. There was one voice that I recognised but the other was new to me. In the background I heard Mrs. Harrison trying to convince them that there was no danger, of what was the question I now had in my mind. There was a crash and a shatter and I knew something awful was going on but if I ventured any further then I would be in trouble. As I attempted to steady my heartbeat, I listened harder; the stranger seemed to be asking about an artefact of some considerable value but Mrs. Harrison only said she had not come across such a thing for many years. There was more shuffling about and I heard someone’s heavy footsteps getting nearer. Holding my breath, I took my time making my way up the stairs backwards; it was not easy and I came close to falling a couple of times. Thankfully, and with a soft sigh of relief, I released my breath and snuck back into my room, shut the door and locked it.

            I ducked to the floor behind my bed to grab the book and map. Grabbing my bag, I shoved them in as neatly as I could; slipping the elastic band off, I tied my hair up and lifted the bag onto my shoulders. Picking Frain up and waking him, I gestured for him to stay quiet and prayed he didn’t chirp or growl at me in annoyance. Opening the double window, I slipped Frain onto the ledge and climbed up (with a struggle) and sat on the ledge with my legs hanging over. Gripping to the sill, I calculated how on earth to do this. Luckily, there was a small section of roofing that started just below my window and sloped gradually down to the top of the ground floor. I had to try and catch my heels on the guttering before falling off; rolling onto my front gingerly because of my fear of heights, I counted to three and let go.

            My judgement was close enough and my toes (as I had rolled over) caught on the rain catcher. Now I had to slide down a bit more and hope the guttering could take my weight before I let go and dropped to the ground. This took what seemed to be all my courage to lift my feet up and let gravity slowly pull me down. I grabbed the new ledge just in time (as my feet had done) and counted to three again before letting go and bending my knees as I hit the ground with a regrettable thud. I pressed my back against the wall and hoped I had time enough to sneak round the side to the stable before anyone come out the back door.

            It was true to say I was terrified but knowing that my leaving would protect the Harrisons, I had little choice. Just as I was about to run to the stables, I remembered Frain. Looking up, I saw his head poking over the edge, he looked as scared as I felt and was not inclined to jump as I had. Holding out my arms, I whispered to him. ‘Jump and I will catch you.’ At first I thought he wouldn’t but then was surprised to see him leaping through the air at me. As I caught him, he growled lowly but I had already run halfway to the stable doors by then.