Chapter 30: Fond Farewell

            Fluttering my eyes, I rolled onto my front as the sunlight hit my face. Groggily, I came awake and remembered I hadn’t opened the curtains the morning before. I rolled back over and sat up, rubbing my eyes then looked at the window. There was a silhouette stood near the window but I wasn’t sure who it was.

            ‘Morning, sleepy head. Get up, there’s somewhere we need to be,’ said Doran and I almost screamed but good thing I was still in my clothes.

            Yawning, I waved at him to get out. ‘I’ll be there in ten minutes, maybe longer,’ I said, hoping he would leave me in peace long enough for me to wake up properly.

            I had, as it turned out, only enough time to grab an apple and a pear as Doran, on seeing me, thought it would be a good idea to leave straight away. Ky was nowhere to be seen in the kitchen so he must have been out already.

            Tying my hair up, I rushed after Doran who was walking at quite a fast pace for this early in the morning. The sun was barely above the rooftops around us. ‘Doran, where are we going? And why this early?’ I asked, taking the bag he held out for me.

            ‘Your brother managed to give in after an hour of Frain growling at him.’ I almost glared and shouted (again) when he told me that but he held his hands up. ‘Hey, it was his idea. I guess Frain knew who Kane was when he smelt him. So I know where the other one will be in a few days and there might be one egg hidden here... or two; I couldn’t quite tell while he was muttering.’ He gave me a weird look but with a smile.

            We walked for a good fifteen minutes or so before we stopped outside a derelict looking, forgotten building. The windows were blacked out and there was no sign that it had ever been used in the last fifty years or so. Doran pushed me to one side of the door and whispered for me to stay quiet while he kicked the door in and I jumped. My heart racing, he stormed in and I heard a lot of raucous rustling. Two minutes later, Doran came out, backwards, wiping the sweat off his brow and dragging an unconscious familiar face with him.

            ‘Now, I’ll watch him and you can look in there and see if you can find an egg. No doubt they wouldn’t have sold one or two on by now but we will find out.’

            So, he waited outside fishing out rope out of the bag to tie up the unconscious man’s hands whilst I snuck into the building as quiet as a snake but for no reason. There was hardly any light so I brushed off the windows with my sleeve before hunting around the dusty room (there seemed to be only one in the old shack).

            It was ten dusty minutes later that I emerged out of the door with a heavy bag that I had found concealed under a pile of broken wooden boards. I was careful when I placed it on the ground. Doran’s captive had now woken up and he was struggling against the rope that bound his hands.

            ‘Don’t touch that! It’s not yours!’ he yelled.

            Growling, I turned my head from where I knelt over the bag. ‘It is since you stole it or them. Now I suggest you shut up or you’ll have two dragons to answer to in less than... two minutes,’ I sneered, the pause for extra tenacity; he soon hushed up. Opening up the flap to the bag, I peered inside the best I could and saw clothes, a few tools from the little clinks while I fished my hand around. Then I brushed over what felt like goatskin and it seemed to be wrapped around something. Pulling it out, I handled it very delicately and unravelled the cloth. It seemed the right shape and size but I had no idea what a dragon egg felt like to hold.