Grown-Up Jobs

Who'd ever thought I'd be back to where I was: all alone in a house made of twigs in a damp forest. It's been a year full of silence from me. Some people called me the 'Ghost Girl' since all I ever did in public was walk into the market once a week, buy a bushel of different fruits, then leave until the next week came. The only reason I could buy the little food I did was all thanks to a horrible job at the local restaurant. Apparently, even seven year-olds can work as a waitress. I could tell the diner was desperate for help since they allowed a haggard little girl who wasn't even seven yet. The owner told me that if anyone asked how old I was, I must tell them seven. This business man kept walking in and asking my age, and I would lie. Something on his face told me he wasn't buying it, but he never questioned. I'd been getting better at this whole lying game.

The only bright side to that life was an old gentleman by the name of Mr. Yajima. Every weekday morning, he sat in the ninth booth and ordered something different every time. He'd had to have order every item at least twenty times. Mr. Yajima is one of the members of the Magic Council. He always demanded that I sat with him as he ate, and just recently he'd been ordering breakfast for me too. I'd rewarded his kindness by answering some of the personal questions he's asked me like, "Where are you from?" and "How did such a young girl end up here?" and also "What happened to your family?" 

I told him everything; I don't know why, but every time we talked, I would tell him a little more of my story. I didn't start at the beginning, like a normal story would. "You're story isn't a normal one," Mr. Yajima would say. I told him of Raiden, my meeting with Lahar, my magic and finally, I told him of my family. I had never been so open to anyone, save Jellal. But there was something just so inviting about his eyes; they reminded me of my father, rest his soul. 

"I'm terribly sorry about everything, Kimmie," Mr. Yajima said after I was done talking. "No one deserves that type of pain. Especially not at this age."

"But, Mr. Yajima, you had nothing to do with what happened. Why do you find the need to apologize?"  

He grinned a wide kind smile. "Because now that you are a part of my life, I feel as if I must take care to protect you." I returned his smile. Feeling his respect towards me softened my hard shell a little. 

"Hey, Kid! You have work to get done. Go serve the other customers," my manager yelled for me. I grumbled under my breath and excused myself from the table. I thanked Mr. Yajima for the meal once again, but as I tried to leave, he grabbed my arm, firmly but gently. 

"Kimmie," Mr. Yajima whispered, "the Council is looking for young wizards to be helpers to the members. Now Lahar was right; you're much too young. But you're almost old enough to help clean around the building. If you want, I could talk your way into a job there."

"But Lahar said I needed to be eight and I'm," I moved closer to him as I lowered my voice, "not even seven yet."

"Well, being a member of the Council, I can get a away with a few rules." Mr. Yajima winked; I couldn't suppress my giggle. He stood up, signaling his departure. "If you want to talk about it, you know what time to find me."

He paid his bill and I waved him out of the restaurant. "8 am as per usual." As the door closed behind him, I heard him say something about owning a restaurant one day. A funny thought of Mr. Yajima in a chef's hat made me chuckle. Another yell from my manager ended my daydream. I wish I worked at Mr. Yajima's restaurant than here, I thought.

***

That night, I stopped to look out at the sea. Thousands of miles away was the house I had grown up in for at least a little while anyway. It was where my mother gave birth to me and where she beaten me. It was where my father taught me to fish and where he was laid to rest. It was where I wished upon apples with Jellal and where I had lost him. That house was once Home when it had my family there. It used to be filled with love and laughter, but now all it contains are haunted memories. I would say something like, if the walls could speak...but I no longer see enough life in that house for the walls to even say anything. The garden is probably dead and the roses by the graves, too. But the apple trees are most likely still alive. I had once wished upon an apple that the apple trees would never die so I could keep making wishes. But even so, I had also wished to be with my brother always. Obviously, all wishes don't come true. 

A strong breeze blew salt water at my face, pulling me away for a moment from my memories. But it only lasted a moment until I remembered the first time I felt the ocean's waves. I have prayed for Raiden's safety every since he left my side. Oh how I miss him! Maybe we'll meet again someday. I hope to start from scratch and forget all that had happened between us on that ship. He was the only friend I had ever made, and now much like everyone else I've ever cared about, he's gone. 

All the man-made light was snuffed out; the candles were weak to that carnivorous wind and now I was alone with the moon and stars. Such beauty is still in the world; I mustn't give up on it. I'll find happiness one day. 

I smiled at the thought and decided to head back to my shack in the woods. Maybe I'll practice my magic and sing, something I haven't done since I built the shack. Once I got back to my house, I built a fire to make my supper. I was lucky enough to sneak some leftover food from the restaurant. I ate warm biscuits and peas, then fell asleep under the stars.

***

The next day, Mr. Yajima and I talked about my job at the Council. As I brought in his order of fish and eggs with a few biscuits for me, I asked him a few questions about the job. Then finally, "Mr. Yajima do you really think you can talk me into the job? How will you convince them to give me it? I'm so young!" 

"My dear," Mr. Yajima said with a smile, "I already got you the job."

________________________________________________________________________________ Please comment on how you think the story is going or if you have ideas for the story. I love hearing your opinions and thank all of you for your support.