Arrival

The train ride was far too long. How do they expect a teenager like me to sit still with nothing to do. I couldn't even use my magic to play around with a glass of water. Apparently using magic on board is frowned upon. Although I had to admit, nothing could beat the view. The extremely fast vehicle passed by endless forests of green, and every now and then a field of colorful flowers would spring up. The natural world blurred by my window like a brushstroke to a painting.

Mr. Yajima wasn't the only person at my sendoff. Lahar with his serious expression came to hand me a letter. "Don't read it until you're on the train," he demanded. Thankfully, only Mr. Yajima gave me a hug goodbye, while Lahar simply nodded his head. The train came to a screeching halt, and with my bag in hand I proceeded on to my next adventure.

So after watching the greenery rush by for about an hour along with breathing in the different smells that entered at each stop (some good, some not so much), I finally decided to read the letter that old Four Eyes had given me.

The letter itself had two return addresses: One for the now ruined Magic Council and one specifically for Lahar's house. I carefully opened the letter. It read:

Dear Kimeala Fernandes,

I'm terribly sorry for the loss of your friend and brother. I know how much you cared for them both, especially your brother. I also deeply apologize for my rude comment yesterday. It was not appropriate for the occasion.

Of course Lahar has to be proper in everything he does. He can't even write a heartfelt letter without sounding like a secretary.

Are you complaining about me yet?

The whole conversation seemed to change personalities.

We have such a complicated history together, I just don't know how to speak with you. We've never really gotten along, have we? I guess the real question I want to ask is: can we be friends? We're two very different people, but I don't like fighting with you. So, if you could please take time to write to me while you're in Magnolia, I would be honored to meet the kinder side of you.

I couldn't help but smile. We've always fought each other, usually without a reason to do so. And he was the one to offer me my job and send me in the right direction. Without him, I probably would've never worked at the Magic Council, and I would've never met Mr. Yajima, Hayato, Terra, or Raiden. That name hit a sore spot, but I'll just ignore that.

I probably would've never saw Jellal again.

"We will be stopping in Magnolia in just a few minutes," the train engineer spoke through the speakers.

I pulled my luggage close and continued to read the last bit of the letter:

So enjoy your time in Magnolia despite the circumstances. Say hello to Terra for me. And Kimmie: don't get involved with any trouble that Fairy Tail may cause.

Sincerely,

Lahar

His use of my nickname hit me like a brick to the forehead. So he can be informal. I would've never guessed Lahar could do so without having a breakdown.

The train slowed to a stop. Butterflies fluttered around in my stomach. I took a deep breath. I still didn't know what magic each emotion triggered, and I certainly didn't want to start trouble upon my first arrival into a new city. I stuffed Lahar's letter into my pocket and grabbed my luggage.

As I stepped off the train, I was shocked: Magnolia was much smaller than I imagined. Sure, it was still a large, well-populated place, but compared to Era, Magnolia was cozy. For once in such a long time, I saw a future. A future where I could live happily and die just as pleased.

This was my new beginning, my chance to start anew.

I went to search my bag for directions to Terra's house when a pair of thin arms grabbed my waist. There stood a small boy with sandy hair and freckles scattered across his nose and cheeks.

"Oh, um, hi? Can I help you? Are you lost?" My concern didn't matter to him. He grabbed my hand and pulled me away from the crowd of exiting passengers. Still confused, I let the boy do as he wished. I couldn't just shoo him off and leave him alone.

"Nice choice, Jerrod! I think we can keep that one."

I knew that voice.

I looked up from the boy's hand to see Terra's beaming face. Picking up who I now knew as Jerrod, I ran over to Terra. She welcomed me into a group hug.

"Long time no see, girlie," Terra whispered in my ear. "I missed you so much." I couldn't even speak I was tearing up. We stood there for a moment before she continued. "I'm so sorry about your brother and friend."

Overwhelmed, my knees gave underneath my weight and I collapsed to the ground. Jerrod switched his hugging location and began squeezing my neck. Terra peeled him off of me when she noticed the lack of air I was receiving in the moment.

"How about we go home, hun." Terra helped me to my feet and grabbed my luggage. I wiped a few loose tears as Jerrod took hold of my hand.

Testing the lovely word on my own tongue, I whispered:

"Home..."

Aww... I think I'm gonna like Jerrod. I don't get to write about small humans often. Sorry for all the OC's. I know some people don't like them in fanfiction, but I'll be sure to add our Fairy friends soon enough. I hope you all are enjoying the title change. It's makes this story seem more professional, wouldn't you say? Anyway, I hope you're liking the story. Happy reading!