Eight and Eighteen: On Our Own

Chapter: Three

She lied. She told me she'd come back, but she never did. She didn't even come to school either. I thought this was going to be easy, but of course I'm going to have to get my hands dirty. Well, I could just call it quits and tell Father 'no' for once, but I don't think I could if I tried. I turned the car sharply and head headed downtown.

My phone buzzed in my back pocket twice before I could reach it. "Hello," I said. "Did you get the girl," Mark whispered. "No, Mark, she got away before school-" "You idiot!" He cut me off. "I knew I should have gone with you; you never seem to do anything right!" He screamed. I didn't know what to say because he was right. Everything I did turned out in a disaster. "Whatever," I said then hung up the phone defeated.

I turned into a Hess to fill up on gas. A bushy haired man, with sleepy eyes, and a grin permanently set on his face walked by whispering to himself. I frowned at looked past him to his car. He had a Lamborghini Reventon. My eyes practically fell out of its sockets; the car had to be at least 1,400,000 dollars. An extremely hung over man with a million dollar car, talking to himself, that seems like trouble to me. I followed the man to the register. He pulled open his wallet and took a hundred dollar bill out. "50 on 12, please," he said still smiling. I pretended to be distracted when he turned around. I don't know why, but I have a strong feeling this man was up to no good.

"Those rotten kids! I'm sick and tired of 'Father I'm hungry' 'Father, can I wash, now?' Maybe the nice natural environment will shape their spoiled asses up. Or maybe it'll k-" I couldn't catch the rest of what he said, but what I heard was enough. He's planning to send his children camping? No, school would be an issue. Okay, he said natural environment, so that would mean it has something to do with nature, right? What else? 'Father, can we wash now?' That's a no brainer...unless he's keeping them from washing. I didn't waste time getting to my truck. I turned the key, and the engine barely had time to roar before I was squealing out of the Hess lot.

I should have been able to see this from the get-go. Rotten kids, natural environment, and he was going to say kill them - or maybe it'll kill them. I slowed down on the road; did I really care? No.

Reese

I stood all night and half way through today. Or at least I thought it was halfway. About an hour ago my legs gave way and I fell to my knees, but never fully made it down. Stacey's head jerked in my direction, his eyes sheltered with distress. He stood up and wrapped his arms around my wais burying his face in my chest. Even though he didn't say anything, I knew what he wanted me to do so I took his offer transferring my weight to him. It felt good to let go of the stress on my legs that I kept my position to long. Stacey stumbled backwards to the ground pulling my arm with him. I winced in pain. "Sorry, Reese! I'm so sorry," he whispered. I nodded my head to him as a response, not fully caring about his apologizes. I mind was focusing on the noise in the tree above my head. I heard twigs snap. Out of curiosity, I pulled my arm bound to the branch forward and listened to the wood creak. My face lit up with enjoyment. "Stacey! Stacey can you grab this branch?" His face changed from sorrowful to a twisted confused look. "No, I can't. Why?" I didn't answer - instead I thought. "Come here," I told him. When he hesitated, I pulled my hand and forced him towards me. Putting my arm around his waist, I twisted around so I faced the tree and pulled him upwards. He gasped. "Stacey, I need you to grab onto that branch, okay?" he nodded and grabbed onto it as you would a gymnastics pole. "Put all your weight on the branch." I felt his hands shift under the breaking branch. "Reese, I'm gonna fall," he whined. "No you won't," I said confidently, "I'll catch you." I heard him sigh under the crunch off the twig. In one moment Stacey kicked his legs - forcing him up - and in another, he was lying in my arms on the ground. I smiled at him and said, "Now, help me break this branch out of the cuff." By sundown we where out of Wallingburg and into a city called Jauntaucket. Since we had never been out of our birth town, we never had the need to be aware of our surroundings. "Reese," Stacey whined, "I'm tired; can we stop?" I looked around and found an old abandoned car - it'll have to do for tonight. "Sure, Stacey lets stop here." The car was broken-down, old, and rusted all around. It was easy to break into, too. I pulled Stacey behind me and swung my loose cuff at the window - It seemed to break into a million pieces. I reached towards the car, swiping shards of glass away, and unlocked the door. It opened with a loud creak as I lifted myself in then Stacey. The seat was just long enough for me to lie down on if I propped my knees up. Stacey slide onto my body and laid there putting his head between mine and my shoulders just like he did for two months and mom died. I pushed the thought out of my mind deciding not to think about her. Her warm smile, her soft, silky hair, and her bright blue eyes - they all brought the nastiest thought to my mind. Thoughts about how screwed in life I am. How I'll never have a movie family. How I'm only with only my brother. An eighteen year old and an eight year old - who would have guessed that? "I love you Reese." His soft, sweet voice caught me off guard, slamming me back into reality. "Hmm?" I asked. "I love you," he said staring me in my eyes. I smiled and lead his head back into the croon of my neck with my free hand. "I love you too, Stacey. I love you and I always will," I said before drifting of into a deep sleep.