Chapter Nine

The opening night was creeping up closer, and Mrs. Aguilar only grew more nervous, though she did trust Edd when he said he was close to completely memorized. A last minute change wasn't something Mrs. Aguilar was used to. She was organized from the start, keeping the plan in order to not have to suffer with anything out of place that could possibly ruin the entire play. And Edd telling her there was nothing to worry, that she could count on him, helped with making her feel more confident.

"Okay, okay," Mrs. Aguilar, clapping her hands to get everyone's attention. "Next Thursday is our opening night. It's important... no pressure." She laughed, but the actors only exchanged worried looks. "Anyways," Mrs. Aguilar went on. "Since our Juliet was replaced, I want the new Juliet and Romeo to go over scenes together, just to get comfortable with the whole ordeal."

Kevin sighed. He told himself it would be fine, but now that it was really happening, he really wished he could go back in time before he let Nazz force him into this damn play.

"Okay!" Mrs. Aguilar shouted out, an excited smile on her face and Kevin worried for himself. "We should start with the dance, their first meeting."

Kevin gulped and looked over to see Edd walking out from backstage. He covered his mouth, so desperately holding in his laugh at the sight of Edd wearing the long black wig with the Juliet costume.

Nazz wore it better, Kevin thought to himself as he grinned. Smiling was the only way he could attempt to not laugh out loud.

"So, Juliet," he said as he walked over to Edd. "Let's get started." He cleared his throat, getting rid of the urge to smile and laugh, and he got himself to be serious enough.

Mrs. Aguilar gave Edd a thumbs up as he got into his spot.

"Okay Kevin," Mrs. Aguilar said, getting to her usual seat in the audience. "Whenever you're ready. The line before Juliet's."

Kevin nodded, knowing exactly what part that was. He took a deep breath. He knew he had to face Edd, but it was going to need some getting used to to see Edd dressed like that. It wasn't that he couldn't pull it off. Edd had that baby face that made it pretty easy for him to pull anything off, but maybe it was just seeing Edd with hair, considering the kid never took off his beanie.

"If I profane with my unworthiest hand," Kevin began, stepping slowly closer to Double D. "This holy shrine, the gentle fine is this. My lips," he lifted his hand and patted his lower lip with his fingers gently, "two blushing pilgrims, ready stand to smooth that rough... touch... with a..." Man... Kevin swallowed hard, feeling a bit awkward for having to say these lines with a passion with Double D. "With a tender kiss..." he finished, his tone weak.

He knew he was only making it harder than it had to be, but he couldn't help it.

Double D sighed softly and began his line, "Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much, which mannerly devotion shows in this. For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch, and palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss."

Kevin pursed his lips, feeling that urge to laugh coming in again. "Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too?" He covered his mouth, but his eyes revealed everything and Double D furrowed his eyebrows at the redhead, knowing full well what was the matter with him.

And it wasn't long after that Mrs. Aguilar figured it out as well.

"Kevin!" She scolded, and Kevin's eyes widened as he looked at her.

"Yeah?" He asked.

"Stop being fidgety and concentrate."

"Sorry, it's just... I'll get used to this. It'll just take time."