Chapter Twelve

It was countless kicking and screaming at the door gone to waste. Even threats couldn't break Lee and May. They merely yawned at the stern voice on the other side of the door. Kevin finally took a deep breath to calm down because it was obvious the girls weren't going to let him out, not anytime soon at least. Sliding down the floor, Kevin curled his fingers into tight fists, squeezing tightly enough to cause his knuckles to turn white. This was dumb, and he was angry. He wanted to scream again. Why did the Kanker sisters always stick their business where it didn't belong?

They did it because they always seemed so intimidating. It made them think they could get away with it all. But it wasn't going to be that way this time. Kevin started to think. There had to be a way out. Looking around him, he didn't see any real useful tools. The janitor most likely had taken all the useful things with him before leaving to clean a few classrooms. But then an idea hit Kevin and slowly, he looked up at the ceiling to find an air vent staring right at him.

A smirk twitched up on his face. "Bingo."

"Kevin will be here," Nazz assured Mrs. Aguilar, "Hewill."

"Oh really?" Marie asked, placing her hands on her hips, "then tell me, where is he?"

Nazz sighed, thinking of an excuse for her best friend, but really, she had none. She shook her head and shrugged, "Hey, like, I have no idea, but I do know that Kevin wouldn't just drop out. He doesn't back out on big commitments."

Marie laughed. "Are you so sure about that?" She asked the blonde.

"Yes," Double D answered for her, narrowing his eyes at Marie. "Kevin is many things. He can be arrogant, obnoxious, and even a bully-"

"Double D," Nazz whined, "to the point."

Double D smiled and went on, "But if there's one thing I know, it's that Kevin is honest and when he has his mind set on something, he accomplishes it."

Marie stepped forward, closer to the sockhead, making Double D cringed.

"What is it between you two?" She asked, her voice quiet enough for only Double D to hear.

"I don't see what you mean," Double D told her.

"You know exactly what I mean. I thought I made things clear." The blue haired girl grabbed Double D by his costume, clutching the fabric tightly in her hand, "You're mine."

Double D didn't want to show any weaknesses, not at that moment. He wanted to stand up to her. He didn't want to fear the Kanker sisters anymore. He was tired of it. They couldn't control him and his friends forever. Gathering up a bit of strength, Double D wrinkled up his nose as he grabbed her hand.

"Okay, okay," Mrs. Aguilar's voice caught him off guard, "back it up, you two." She gently pulled Marie off Double D, and the sockhead sighed in defeat - his big moment gone.

"No touching allowed unless I say so," Mrs. Aguilar told Marie.

Marie glared at her but said nothing.

"My apologies," Double D said softly, looking down at his feet.

"Now," Mrs. Aguilar said, "if Kevin isn't here by tomorrow's practice..." she looked as if she was hating herself for what she was about to say next. She turned to face Marie and said, "then you can have the part."

Marie and Nazz gasped, both for different reasons - Nazz's face spelled horror as Marie's face spelled success.

"No," Nazz spoke up, "Mrs. Aguilar, you can't do that. It would totally be unfair for Kevin!"

"And it's totally unfair for me that he's skipping practice," Mrs. Aguilar told the blonde, "I mean, I think Kevin is a great Romeo, but that doesn't mean he can't be replaced."