Three

"You look... incredible." He begins as we make our way towards the ball room, which thankfully is located on the other side of the castle. I do not think I am quite prepared for the events that are going to occur tonight. Frankly, the days events have left me a bit unsettled.
"A bit dark, I thought." I reply looking down at myself, fighting to push back the scarlet fire staining my cheeks. Only Gideon can ever gain this sort of reaction from me. It's simply irritating sometimes. I console myself, however, knowing that if I wished to I could obtain a similar reaction from him.
A little smile lights his face and his arm, linked with mine, tightens slightly pulling me closer. He clears his throat in a secretive manner before leaning an inch closer. "Less dark, more... ominous." He says in a slow whisper. "It suits you. Deep down you're a very mysterious person, I believe."
A very unladylike snort escapes my throat at his assessment of me. I am not mysterious or ominous or anything of the sort. "Mysterious. Hmpff I beg to differ. I am a very open person, actually." I raise my chin defiantly.
He gives me one of those, 'really?', looks before starting his insult onslaught. "You do not communicate with anyone else besides me."
I was about to object to this when he raises his finger to silence me. "Besides the castle servants and your uncle."
My objection lay down, curled up and died in my throat instantly.
"You are a princess, which by default makes you mysterious." He continues without a pause. "You have men from every corner of the realm vying for your attention, but you are not yet married. And finally, you never ever say what you really feel."
This, also, I opened my mouth to object to but another upheld finger silenced me once more. "Your uncles thoughts are not your thoughts." He finished with a blow that made me stop and gain my composure before continuing to walk. My mouth opens and closes as I struggle to find something to disregard each one of his points. In the end I give up and change the subject.
A playful smile tugs at my lips, an idea beginning to form. Time for a reaction from him, don't you think? "You also look very handsome tonight Gideon." I lean an inch closer towards him, similar to how he had done earlier. "Although not so 'ominous' like me, more light and innocent." He squirms under my intense gaze and I can't help but let a tiny giggle escape.
Seeming to catch on to what I was doing, he gathers himself. "Why thank you very much, m'lady." He proclaims, bowing so deep I thought he might topple over.
We both laugh, giggle and tease each other before lapsing into comfortable silence.
"Luce.." He begins, after a while of just our footfalls echoing through the stone halls.
I look up at him questioningly, surprised by the sudden change in atmosphere. "I'm not nearly as innocent as you think I am." He replies after a while.
His eyes catch mine, the intense blue boring into me, seeming to search my soul, waiting for a reaction. My breath hitches in my throat at the darkness that seems to cloud over him in that instant. Before he was lighthearted, easy going, the Gideon I have always known. Now he is brooding, stormy... mysterious. A Gideon I have never seen before.
"W- Wh- What do you mean?" I finally reply with only a slight startled stutter. Only then do I realise I had stopped walking from the shock.
In answer he only reaches up, his fingers descending towards my face. I close my eyes in bewilderment, wondering how this happened. What is he doing? Is he going to touch my face?   Caress my cheek? .... Kiss me?
His fingers touch the top of my forehead, sweeping a few loose tendrils behind my ear. When I reopen my eyes the old Gideon is back. The one I had always known. The safe, light, familiar Gideon. The change, again, was so sudden I wondered if I had imagined the last couple of minutes.
"We are here." He says breaking the silence.
The music, from the ball room, slowly fades and breaks through my stunned reverie. "We are?" I ask still confused.
He nods looking towards the door at the end of the hall. "Everybody is waiting."
I glance towards wear he is nodding. The open door filtering through a mixture of music, laughter and small talk. Finally a bit of sense comes back into my mind. "Oh! We must go then!"
He just laughs his normal lighthearted laugh and leads me through the opened doors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authors note:

Hey everybody! I hope you're enjoying the story so far. Who was surprised by Gideon's sudden personality change? I don't know about you but I want to know more about his... mysterious side. ;)