Summer in an Island Paradise

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So how's everything Grandma?" I inquired

" Nothing much, I just got the living room repainted" grandma said

"Really, tell me you got it changed from that ordinary white colour!"I pleaded.

From the first time i ever visited grandma, the entire house was in the same white colour.

The only thing not white was the front of the house, but even that was in a light shade of yellow.

"Sweetheart, where I live it’s hot all year round and white reflects heat” she stated “ And I need as much heat reflected as possibly…especially since summer is around the corner”

“Yeah I know summer is not far away” I said

“What you’re goanna do this summer?”Granma inquired.

” Well...Nothing really I was just goanna hang out with my friends…you know, chillax and go to art academy”.

Grandma chuckled

“Oh teenagers now a days!”Grandma exclaimed laughing heartily .

” Granma, I can’t believe your laughing at my words “I defied

“But it isn’t a word” she retorted.

I frowned into the phone.

Grandma didn’t act like most grandmothers that I read in books; she acted so much younger than her age, almost like a funner version to mom, although I don’t think there is a word called funner…

“Well, It is, so now you know…” I said

“Ok I hope your chilaxing helps you ” she said putting emphasize non 'chillax'.

I could just imagine her now, smiling broadly, even inwardly laughing at me.

I sighed “Well thank you I hope you will chillax too” I said

” I’m sure I will”.

Oh!

Granma is so awesome.

I really miss her.

I haven’t visited for so long…

“She really lonely now” 

“She told you that?” I asked in astonishment.

Gran would never tell someone that especially that direct.

“No, I figured it out, ever since your grandfather passed away…” she trailed off,

Grandpa left us three years ago but it was still a little hard to talk about him.

“She has been a bit sad” she continued bravely.

” But you wouldn’t know because she has always had the McCaw to lean on, but  they’ve moved to live in a different country last summer,” she paused

” although they’re coming back to the house for the summer, and now she’s all by herself.”

“That’s sad, why don’t we move and live with her?” I asked.

Mom frowned at me

“That would be fine, if you want to move to a new school in a whole different country and if you want for us to quit our jobs and find a new one, which is very scarce now” she inquired.

After thinking a little I shook my head.

“That’s what I thought” she mumbled.”

She hasn’t seen you in awhile” she stated thoughtfully.

” Yeah”

“Why don’t visit her?” mom inquired trying to hide her excitement.

“I would but I want to go to art academy this year.”

“Oh yeah,” Mom said disappointed.

”But, there’s an art academy near her” she countered.

I frowned at her.

“Mom, I would have to make new friends and -”

“Fine, I’m just concerned about your grandma” she said sadly, cutting me off.

“I’ll think about it okay” I said.

She got up off the bed and made her way towards the door.

She paused before making her way out of my room

“Mom needs someone right now, Rex can’t… he died last week” she said sadly.

With that she left the room.

“Grandma, you still have that guest room right?”

“Of course”

“You wouldn’t mind an extra person in the house with you, now would you? “

Granma laughed

“What are you trying to say dear?” she asked suspiciously.

I smiled

“I want to spend the summer with you”.

A few minutes passed before Granma answered.

“Why?”

“Because I love you…”

“Really? That’s why you want to spend the whole of your summer with this old woman?” She asked softly.

That’s when I knew I had done the right thing.

”You’re not an old woman to me, you’re my best friend…”I defended.

She sniffed “Awe, thanks sweetie….I love you too”.

I felt over joy now Granma would be happy,

she has been down for so long.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all you chicas, Remember to RCV!!!....and eat chicken!