001. A Tooth

THEY PACED AT the sidewalk moderately. I started stalking them the moment her mom fetched her from that private kindergarten school. That little girl got something I have been searching for so long. I must get that. I badly need it.

They stopped in the forepart of the pedestrian lane because the traffic light was still red. I also stopped walking.

"Mammy, that old beggar man is following us," she said in a very childish way as she pointed her finger to my position. Albeit her mom just ignored her because she was talking to someone through her phone, I still concealed my whole body behind a concrete post. I must be extra careful. I must not waste this chance.

I kept trailing them until they halted in front of a huge house and they walked inside. They are a rich family, I thought. The sun began to set, releasing orange rays of light. I can't wait but I must. My heart was pounding hard and fast.

I waited for few hours until it was completely dark. I sneaked inside the house through an open window. Tiptoe, tiptoe. I heard her mom singing inside the bathroom. Great! This will going to be easy, I said to myself. Tiptoe, tiptoe. I went upstairs. Tiptoe, tiptoe. I was in front of the door of my prospect. I cautiously held the doorknob, open the door, then shut and locked it quietly the time I entered the room. I gazed at the angelic face of the sleeping child through the night light. She was having a sweet dream. "I can now execute my plan," I thought out loud.

I roamed the room. Tiptoe, tiptoe. I opened the cabinet and the closets and the boxes but it was not there. I paused to think. Aha! It must be under her pillow! I carefully raised the pillow in which her head lie. And lo! It was there!

I picked it up. It was so tiny and so white. I hastily put it in my small grinding apparatus. I ground it until it became powder. I grabbed a small silver platter that I saw in the cabinet and poured the powder then put out a small straw from my pocket. I precipitately gorged the powder using the straw. I consumed it until it was nothing.

Eventually, I felt a sudden jolt in my head. I began to seizure. Convulsion. "Ahhhhhhh!" I shouted. I involuntarily fall hard on the floor. I managed to get up but unintentionally got in contact with the night light. It dropped into pieces. My whole body was trembling.

My body calmed down after few seconds. I felt something was jerking in my back. Something sprouted from it.

"Iani?! What's happening out there?! Who are you with?!" Her mom shouted as she knocked hard on the door. I looked to the little girl. She was awaken and looking at me with wide eyes. Astonished.

"Shhhhhh! Here's your gold coin, kid. Don't freak out, okay?" I whispered with a grin. She nodded as I gave her the coin. I saw a smile formed in her innocent face.

Her mom kept shouting and knocking and rocking the doorknob. I opened the window then looked at the ground. Shocks! It must be twenty feet high. No, thirty. But I jumped anyway.

"What happened here, Iani? Are you alright?" her mom, whose body was covered by towel only, asked nervously the moment she opened the door.

"A tooth fairy!" Iani exclaimed in an exhilarated manner as I flew using my huge, newly-grown pair of butterfly-like wings.