Chapter 1 - Farewell

Chapter 1

“No way. This isn’t happening.”

Those were the only words the eighteen year-old boy could say. He could not believe it. The girl, who was with him for almost five years, is now bidding farewell. The two were speechless. It was an awkward moment for the both of them. But it was also quite ironic because the sky above them exhibited a cool, quiet, sunny weather. The hill where the two sat was full of blooming flowers, and the grasses were growing in a healthy greenish tint. The wind blew softly, but was still able to blow the girl’s hair into what seemed like dancing rivulets of light, liberating the lovely scent from her. It was a very nice atmosphere atop the hill, but sadly, it was not for the two.

“Face it Van. It’s happening, and you know I didn’t want this to happen either,” the girl said, facing him. She couldn’t help but stare into the blue eyes of the boy, but then she turned around so she faced the view at the top of the hill once again, forcefully trying not to.

“So you’re leaving Falcon,” Van said, pertaining to the town where they live. At the top of the hill, the view of the whole town (Falcon) could be seen. “Is that what you want? To leave the town? To live your own life? To leave the people who want your help?”

“Stop it Van,” she said, her eyes glistening from unshed tears. “I... I just want to know who I really am. And besides, I don’t want you to get hurt. With me, you, mother and father are in great danger. They are hunting me. They are hunting us, until all of us are dead. I just don’t want to see you suffer because I am one of them.” she added, tears finally rolling down her cheeks.

“Kate...,” he said, putting his arms around her shoulders as the girl leaned against him.

“Van, I’m sorry we lied to you,” Kate said, looking at him.

“Wh-what do you mean?” Van asked.

“Mother and father are not my biological parents. My biological mother gave me to them when I was an infant. They told me that only two days ago, and it’s been bothering me a lot,” she confessed, leaving Van in shock. “I am not angry at them. I should be thanking them right now. But Van, you must understand, I have more than one reason for why I am going far away from here. First, I must find protection. Living a life like this is useless. We will all be killed. Second, I need to know who my real parents are.”

“Then I’ll go with you! I will help you find your identity! And Kate, I will protect you from any harm; I promise,” Van said with a smile, which cheered Kate up a bit.

“No Van. First of all, you’re a human. The organization which invited me is a group of people who all have the special bloods which were passed down through many generations into their blood, like me. To enter the organization, I must bring myself alone. Second of all, Van I must do this by myself. I don’t want anyone to get hurt – especially the ones whom I cared the most. I hope you understand,” Kate replied, declining Van’s offer.

Van looked disappointed by her reply. “So you think I am just a useless junk? That I am not capable of protecting you? How rude is that!” Van said angrily, as he stood up.

Kate stood up too, holding Van’s arms. “That’s not what I meant! I know you are capable of protecting me, but you are no match for them! This is a battle of our survival, and this is a serious matter! Van, please...” she said almost pleading. She hugged him tight, and he hugged back as well.

“A human and a being like me are not compatible. It will not work out. Remetian blood runs through my veins Van, you know that. I am capable of healing those who are sick and injured, but I am very sorry I can not to heal your heart, nor I can heal mine. But I just want to tell you...that I love you, very much, and I will sacrifice everything just to keep you safe,” Kate whispered.

“But Kate...”

“Shh. Let’s just live this moment, shall we?” Kate said, smiling, while looking at the blue eyes of the man she truly loved.

The wind gently blew again, making the flowers move in harmony. The clouds in the sky moved with the wind’s command, just like the life of this girl, moving in command with her destiny. The couple’s hug lasted for about five minutes, as they cherished their last moment together.

“Van, I think I should go,” Kate said, wiping her tears away after their hug broke up.

“But what about mother and father? Will they...?” Van asked.

“Yes they will, I hope. But if they don’t, please explain to them, will you?” Kate asked.

“Yes, I will.”

Then again, an awkward silence enveloped the two.

“So, I guess this is farewell.” Kate tried to casually say.

“Kate,” Van said, stepping closer to her, before reaching for her hand and holding it.”I promise, I will find you. And when that time comes, I promise, I will be able to defend you, no matter what. And lastly, I... I hope this will bring you happiness,” Van said, smiling.

“I will be happy, I am sure of it. And I am expecting to see you again. I mean,...we will meet again,” she said. “Let’s go. I still need to pack my things up.”

And as she turned around ready to descend from the hill, Van said something that made her stop.

“Five years, Kate. And it’s coming to an end.”

Kate turned again to Van’s direction.

“No, it will not. I will not forget you, I promise,” she said smiling. “Come on, let’s  go home, “ she said extending her hand to Van who took it.

The two descended from the hill, ready to accept their fates. They walked a few meters before reaching their house.

“Mother, we’re here,” Van said, knocking on the door before it opened.

“Oh my God, I thought you went somewhere far. It’s dangerous out there. How come you two did not asked for my permission...” their mother rambled before Kate cut her off.

“Mother, I’m leaving.”

Their mother was in a state of shock after hearing this from her daughter. But then her mind turned to defence mode.

“Leaving? Where? To the town center? Well, buy what you want to. Wait, I need to get my purse...”

“Mother, please. You knew this moment would come,” Kate said, her eyes filling up with tears once more.

And then, right after Kate finished her sentence, her mother suddenly hugged her daughter, because she knew that the girl she took care of for seventeen years would leave her and find her fate by herself moments from then.