November 22nd St Cecilia Day.

In Rome there was a virgin named Cecilia,

who spent most of her time in prayer,

but when she was given in marriage to Valerian,

it filled her heart with despair.

It was during the wedding ceremony,

to God in her heart she did sing,

she told her husband of her vow of virginity,

and she had an angel by her side protecting.

So Cecilia sent him to Pope Urbanus,

to be baptised, then return to her side,

when he got back he was astounded,

to see an angel sat with his new bride.

In 4th century Rome there was a virgin named Cecilia, she came from a very rich family who arranged a marriage for her to a young man named Valerian. Whilst the wedding ceremony was taking place Cecilia was said to have sung in her heart to God. Before the consummation of her nuptials she informed her husband that she had taken a vow of virginity and always had an angel protecting her. Valerian could not see the angel but Cecilia told him he would be able to once he had been baptised by Pope Urbanus. After having that done he returned to his wife and found an angel by her side. Valerian's brother was also baptised and spent their lives burying saints murdered by the prefect of the city Turcius Almachius, both brothers were eventually arrested and executed. Cecilia continued to preach and convert over 400 people who were baptised by Pope Urbanus. She too was executed, she is the patron saint of music and musicians. The church of Santa Cecilia in Trastevere is built on the site of the house in which she lived.

© All Rights Reserved 2016