eight: stargazing

Over the past month, Dylan has slowly been bringing his possessions to my house. Half my closet has his clothes in it, my fridge has some of the food he eats and I don't in it, and the shelves are becoming overcrowded with his knickknacks. My house is slowly but surely becoming our house, and I'm quite happy with that.  Dylan practically lives here, and he doesn't mind helping me with expenses.

We are meeting Ana and Luke for a double date tonight, so I'm throwing on makeup while Dylan shoves crackers into my small purse. We're getting food, so I'm not sure why Dylan wants to bring some along, but I just kind of accept it. I'll probably end up eating half the crackers on the way to the restaurant.

"Are you ready?" I ask Dylan as I emerge from the bathroom.

"You look beautiful," he replies, ruffling my wild curls.

I giggle. "You look sexy."

He chuckles. "Not as sexy as you."

"You liar," I giggle.

"Juliette."

"Hhm?" I glance up at him. There's a huge smile on his face.

"I love you."

"I love you too. Let's go."

Ana and Luke are waiting for us outside the restaurant when we arrive. They're both laughing and attempting to kick each other in the shins. Ana jumps back and aims a kick at Luke's knee. He throws his hands in front of his face in surrender. Ana brings her hands up to his. They lace their fingers together and share a kiss.

"What do you think of Luke?" I ask Dylan curiously.

"I think he's a good guy. I haven't talked to him much, though."

"You should hang out with him sometime," I reply.

"I should, especially since I'm going to be his kid's uncle."

"True." My heart swells with joy.

Luke sees us over Ana's shoulder and waves. Ana turns around and blows me a kiss with her middle finger. How sweet.

Ana and Luke are dressed very similarly. Both are wearing black ripped skinny jeans and white converse. Ana is sporting a California maroon tank top with her long dark hair falling down past her elbows. She's also showing a little. Luke has on a maroon v-neck t-shirt with his band name printed on it. He's wearing his black lip ring and has his blonde hair is a bit of a mess. They're both glowing with happiness. It's infectious and impossible not to smile at the sight of them.

The four of us greet each other and stroll into the restaurant. It's one of those really awesome diners that serves breakfast all day. We all order chocolate pancakes, except for Ana, who orders double chocolate chip pancakes.

Our food comes out in no time, and we eat and talk, enjoying each other's company. It is rare that we can do things like this, with all four of us working so often.

After everyone finishes, the guys split the check, and Dylan and I head home. It's still early by the time we get back. It's hardly seven.

"Do you want to go somewhere?" I ask Dylan.

I can tell this catches his attention. "Where?"

We lock eyes, and I smirk. "I want to show you something."

Within two minutes, we are in my car, taking an exit leading us out of the city and into the flat desert. After about half an hour, we reach a flat stretch of road where the speed limit changes from 55 to 65. We zoom father and farther from the city. I only stop the car when I can look back and see no buildings or city lights.