Chapter 8 - Lancelot

Merlin's POV

I lounge in the chair in my room, a smile on my face as I listen to Lancelot talk of his dreams of visiting Camelot.

"It's my life's ambition to join the knights of Camelot," he says, finally looking away from the window.

My smile widens. He would make a wonderful knight. He's passionate, and strong. He is more than willing to serve. These are all qualities Arthur likes in his knights.

Lancelot sees the smile on my face and seems to think otherwise. "I know what you're thinking. I expect too much. After all, who am I? They have their pick of the best and bravest in the land."

"Lancelot?" I say. I'm in disbelief that he would think he wasn't worthy of knighthood. I can name half a dozen knights that have been able to achieve knighthood with even less skill.

"Yes?"

"They're going to love you."

"They are?"

I laugh. "I've seen you in action. You could shame the great Arthur himself."

He cracks a smile. "I hardly think so."

"In fact, you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to talk to him right now." I stand from my chair and head towards the door, walking right past a baffled looking Lancelot.

"You know Arthur?"

I stop at the door. I wide grin on my face. "Oh, yes. He's a total dollop head and won't admit it but we're good friends."

-----

Lancelot and I stand by the sword racks and watch Arthur as he faces another challenger. The man wields two swords, a fierce expression on his face as he twirls them about. Arthur seems unfazed. He simply explains the rules of the challenge before readying himself for a fight.

The fight ends almost as quickly as it started. The man charges and is knocked down almost immediately. I catch Arthur give a sigh at another failed potential knight. He pulls the sash from the mans waist while ordering for him to be taken away. He hands the sash to another man before approaching me. He looks tired, annoyed.

"Grimond's the third to fail this month. How am I meant to defend Camelot with rubbish like that. I mean, even you could fight better," he says, starting to remove pieces of his armour, entirely ignoring Lancelot beside me.

I walk over to help him with a laugh. "Even I could do better? If I recall correctly did I not beat you the last time you practised for the tournament?" I smile at him cheekily. I can hear a faint chuckle come from Lancelot.

"You cheated!"

"There's no cheating in a real fight Arthur."

I can tell he's rolling his eyes at me but he decides to drop the subject. "That's not the point. These knights are all incompetent. It's either they are weak or they do not have the discipline and fortitude of a knight."

I look to Lancelot with a smile. "I think I can help."

"You, Merlin?" Arthur stifles a laugh.

"I know someone with all those qualities."

He turns to face me, interest peaked. "Yeah?"

"He saved my life."

I hear him scoff. "Well, that's blown it for starters."

I roll my eyes at him as I set down the last piece of his armour. "Look who saved me only a short while ago."

"I don't count. Beside for all I know he saved you from tripping on your own feet."