Fated Encounters

Okay, as some of you may know, this story is also up on Fanfiction.... But I actually wanted to see how many pages I had typed up, so I'm uploading it up here... I'll probably take this down later.

Toothiana was bored. Sitting there listening to her mother go on and on and on about some sort of boring royal party she had to attend for her 18th birthday, she absent-mindedly played with her hair.

In her lap sat a book on medicine. She was halfway through the book by now, reading a chapter on the care of teeth. “Yellow teeth are a sign of plaque,” it read. Squinting, she peered at her mother’s teeth. They were relatively clean, with only a bit of yellow on her premolars. Earlier that day, she had inspected her own teeth, and was pleased to find that they were squeaky clean.

“Toothiana? Are you listening? Tooth! Pay attention when I am talking to you, young lady!”  Her mother’s voice broke her out of her reverie.

“Huh? What? Oh!” Startled, Tooth jumped, causing her papers to fly everywhere. Her mother’s stern glare told her that she was not amused. Sheepishly, she grinned while bending down to pick up the papers. Something in the pile catches her eye, and she leans closer to inspect it, picking it up.

It was a poster of a handsome boy, around her age. On the top of the poster were the words, “WANTED: JACK FROST”. In the picture, he was smiling devilishly, showing his beautifully white teeth, making him seem like he was planning something. The bottom of the poster had a description of him, which told her he was around 5’10” with brown hair, brown eyes, and was wanted for stealing a precious jewel from a noble family.

He was of no concern to her. It was the flash of blue on the poster, she told herself, that drew her attention to the poster, not his beautiful smile, as Jack Frost wore a blue tunic decorated with elaborate patterns that strangely reminded her of snow. Shrugging, she returned the poster to the pile of papers, folded her hands on her lap, and smiled demurely at her mother. “Yes, mother? I’m afraid I didn’t hear you the first time,” she said, straightening her dress.

Her mother huffed. “Honestly, Toothiana. You’ll be turning 18 in 6 months, start acting more mature! Also, you have a marriage appointment today. Hopefully, you won’t scare him off like those others,” She told her. “You’ll be meeting this man for lunch in 3 hours, so you’ve got to start getting ready!” They started walking towards Toothiana’s bedroom.

“Another one?” Tooth whined. “But they’re all so much older than me! Why can’t I choose who I want to marry?” She wrung her hands in frustration.

“Because your father’s getting old, Tooth, you know that. He needs a new ruler soon,” her mother replied, patting her daughter’s shoulder. Tooth shrugged her mother’s hand off and stalked off, making a point of slamming the door to the library behind her.

PAGE BREAK

Balancing precariously on a tree branch outside of a window, Jack Frost reached into his belt and pulled out a lock pick. He stuck it into the lock of the window, and jiggled it around until it made a satisfying ‘click’ sound. Too easy, he thought.

He gently pushed open the window, and landed lightly on the wool carpet. Scanning his surroundings, he found himself in a room filled with musical instruments. It was furnished with some benches, a piano, and instruments placed on shelves around the room.