Prologue

This Saturday morning was like any other spring day. Nice weather, birds chirping, people outdoors enjoying the fresh, crisp air that is usually associated with spring. Except for Mr. Nelson. He would not be enjoying Spring and the nice weather and beauty it had to offer because he would be stuck in school. On a Saturday. Watch over four immature, foolish, dumb teenage boys who had landed in detention for whatever rules they have been caught trying to break. The middle aged man groaned internally when he had been given the duty of Saturday detention. He went home that Friday afternoon, ranting about his boss and cursing him and wishing bad things upon him. He had plans today. Plans that did NOT involve watching over teenage delinquents. He was going to take his girlfriend out today and propose to her. Today was their seven year anniversary, the day he met the love of his life. But instead, he would be watching over four young troublemakers who had ruined what he had finally gotten the courage to do. And it made him furious.

The students started to file in the detention room. It was a hot, stuffy, claustrophobic room which had been reserved for detentions and suspensions and the rule breakers in general. The boys filed in this tiny room and threw their stuff down on the desks they had chosen to sit at and sat down. You could see they were tired. It was 6:45 in the morning after all, and they all had gone to bed late last night, parties and the lives they were living keeping them awake into the wee hours of the night. Mr. Nelson sat at the teacher's desk and started to take attendance, making sure each student was here. And they were all here, except for one boy who has had quite the rap sheet at Cherry Hill High. He rolled his eyes and looked at the clock. Six fifty nine and Michael Clifford still hadn't shown up. If he didn't walk in that door in the next few seconds, he would be late. And at this high school, being a second late meant another detention or suspension added on to what your original punishment was. Just as the clock turned seven, the boy with the fire engine red hair strolled into the room and took a desk at the back corner, furthest away from the window. Mr. Nelson decided not to mark him late, as he didn't want to be here on another  nice Saturday.

Mr. Nelson gave the typical lecture that all teachers give to students in detention and laid down all the rules. Except, he decided to do a little twist. Each boy had to write an essay. An essay about who they were and what they aspired to be. A thousand words, no less, and it couldn't be the same word a thousand times. And in true teenage fashion, the boys rolled their eyes and ignored him, busy on their iPods and phones. Until Mr. Nelson had come around with a little green basket to collect all electronics. The boys had groaned and protested a bit, but they all put their electronics in the basket. Then, Mr. Nelson went to the faculty lounge to grade test papers and such.