Chapter 2: Curses and Ducks

After the reaping we're all supposed to party like it's 1999 and most people do except the ones who's kids got chosen. They sit inside and cry.

By the time we head back we have a dozen fish, a lot of greens, and a gallon of strawberries. No squirrels.

We head to the black market we call The Hob to sell stuff. It's called The Hob after old Sylvester Hobbenson the fastest berry picker in the west. He's kinda my hero. We trade some stuff especially with Greasy Sae the only person who will buy wild dog, evidently because she don't give a dang about what she put in that gullet of hers. She calls it beef once it's in the soup, poor old hag.

We sell the strawberries to the mayor. He has this daughter named Madge who I hang out with a lot at school because neither of us have any friends. We don't talk either.

Today she's all dressed up like you're supposed to be on reaping day. She looks like a sissy.

"Pretty dress," says Gale. He has a talent for making simple business transactions awkward.

Madge can't tell if she's being made fun of or not so she kinda smiles and says, "Well, if I end up going to the capitol I want to look nice, don't I?"

Haha. Now Gale is confused. Take that Brainman!

"You won't be going to the capitol," Brainman answers coolly because he has an answer for everything. "You have what, five entries? I had six when I was twelve."

"That's not her fault," I say.

"It's no one's fault. Just the way it is," says Gale.

This conversation has become pretty darn uncomfortable for Madge who just hands us the money and says, "Good luck, Katniss."

See what you've done, Brainman? No good luck for you. You're bound to get picked now. Thoroughly depressed because I know Gale is doomed for all eternity I reply, "You too," as the door closes.

We walk back to the Seam of Hell in silence. Brainman shouldn't have taken that dig at Madge. After all we all have to be in the reaping. The reason our names are entered more is because you can trade it for more food. Rich or poor, District 1 or 12 we all hurt the same except for the capitol. Like that time I killed Scorpio's favorite son last year I thought to myself, "Now he will know what it's like to hurt."

It's scary to think my name at age sixteen is in there twenty times. Could be worse though. Gale's is in 42 times. 42 is a wonderful number. Maybe it will counter Madge's curse. Who am I kidding? Brainman is toast.

But you can see why seeing an unstarving person like Madge would set him off. Not only does she have enough food, she hardly has to worry about being taken to The "Hunger Games." Da Da DA!!!!!

I remember Gale going on and on about how bad the whole thing was and how the capitol uses it to divide us. On and on... Blah, blah, blah... He just doesn't stop because I'm the only one he can tell it to. He thinks I care.

I glance over and Gale is still angry. Lot of good it will do. What he should be worried about is Madge's curse. He needs to go back and appease her! Kiss her feet or eat her broccoli or something! The least he could do is ask my advice on the situation. Like he'd ever do that. So hard-headed.

We stop to divide what is left of our spoils.

"See you in the square," I say.

"Wear something pretty," he says flatly.

Well, when I get home the girls are all ready in their pretty dresses from when mom was rich. Prim's dress is too big.

Mom wants me to take a bath and wear a dress too. Darn.

"Do I have to?" I know she's trying to be nice, but I don't like it.

"Of course. Let's put your hair up too." She starts yanking it out and by the time the torture and blood is over I don't recognize myself. I look even uglier than usual.

"You look beautiful," says Prim in a hushed voice.

"And nothing like myself," I say because if I say what I really think mom might cry or something. I hug Prim. This is her first reaping and she's being pretty wimpy about it.

I protect Prim however I can, but I can do nothing about this. It makes me feel kinda wimpy too. I notice her blouse hanging out of her skirt and say, "Tuck in your tail little duck," while making maniacal quacking noises.

Her look tells me I'm trying too hard. "Quack," she says.

"Quack yourself," I say laughing a little and covering for the awkwardness very poorly. "Let's eat," I say kissing her on the head.

We're having the fish, greens, bakery bread, and strawberries for supper when we can eat without puking. We eat milk and gross bread for now.

We head for the square at one. If you aren't there the officials lock you up.

If it wasn't for the reaping with its cameras and banners the square would be nice.

Everyone has to sign in. The kids are herded in the ropes like cattle and the families and everyone stand outside gawking.

If I had to choose between dying of hunger or a gun wound I would go with the gun.

There's eight thousand people in District 12. We barely fit.

I stand with some sixteens from The Seam of the World that Sucks. On the stage in front of the Justice Building is three chairs, a podium and the fish bowls that hold our names, one for boys, one for girls. I know in that sea of fish is my name twenty times. I'm glad I'm not cursed.

Those chairs will hold Mayor Undersee, whose last name was an unfortunate misspelling (don't make fun of it or he will lop off your head,) Effie Trinket, the master of ceremonies from the Capitol who looks like a clown threw up on her, and...well, the other one is empty for now.

The clock strikes two and mayor Undersee (snicker) begins to drone on about how Panam was racked with war when we, the Districts, rebelled and how awful it was, and how much better things are now, and how we must never do it again, naughty naughty us, so we have the Hunger Games to punish us and remind us how terrible we are. Da Da DA!!!!! The end.

The rules of The Hunger Games are simple. They get one guy and one girl, tributes, from each District and send them to the Capital like a sacrificial pig or something.

The train them, feed them, and then stick them in this huge outdoor arena and watch them fight to the death until only one is left. It usually takes a few weeks and everyone watches.

It's really to scare us. "Look! We kill your kids! One wrong move and we'll do the same to you! Heehee!"

Plus, we have to act all excited about it, and we are put even more at their mercy because the winning District gets showered with pretty gifts, a.k.a. FOOD!!

"It is a time for repentance and thanks," intones the mayor. Can I puke now?

Then he reads the list of District 12 victors...all two of them. Pretty sad, huh? The only one who's still alive is the very fat, very drunk Haymitch "Stinker" Abernathy.

He's on stage now making a fool of us as usual. Blech!

Now Effie's coming up like a little, ugly, stupid "fairy." She waves her little hands like she's bestowing a blessing on us all. It won't undo "Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor!"

I hope that gives luck to the poor doomed Gale. He's over there grinning about how funny it is, but as Effie reaches toward the girls bowl his face darkens. "42 is a happy number!" I mouth to him.

Effie is taking her precious time digging around in the dumb bow. She grabs one and I just hope it isn't me or Gale. He's so cursed now his name probably got put in the girls bowl by accident.

Effie smooths out the paper and reads the name.

Primrose Everdeen.