fifteen

According to the nurse, I suffered from what they thought was a fatal case of meningitis. It was a miracle that I was awake and functional. 

Both my parents were here. It was the first I'd seen them within yards of each other in awhile. They both smothered me with hugs and kisses. I was overwhelmed and confused. 

My head was still foggy. The doctor entered my small room. 

"Dr. Penelope Richmond," she said, shaking my hand. 

"It's great to see you awake," she said. 

I forced a smile. 

"Do you remember why you're here?"

"Just what I was told... I had meningitis?" I said. 

"Okay, can you tell me the last thing you remember?" 

"Yeah, I was in my dorm packing my things for the summer. Dean and I had just said goodbye... but obviously if I've been out for what, a month? I guess I missed a good half of the summer..."

Everyone's faces dropped. 

"What? Is that not correct?" I asked. 

No one said anything. 

"Do you remember being ill at all?" 

"No... should I?"

Again, no one responded. 

"Someone tell me what is going on!" I shouted. 

"Jessica, honey, it's September seventh," my mom said with a grim look on her face. 

"So I've been out for like three months?" I asked confused. 

"No, you lost consciousness on August twelfth," Dr. Richmond began. 

I interrupted, "How is that-" 

"You seem to have lost your recollection of the past few months." 

"Oh," my heart sank, at the realization.

"Well, the good news is, you're awake... and you clearly haven't lost all of your memory. It was just your short-term that was affected. Meningitis damages nerves, and it most likely affected a portion of you brain. Let's take an MRI on your head and see how things look," Dr. Richmond ordered. 

****

I'd been wheeled back to my room after the x-ray. 

"Where's my cell phone? I want to call Dean," I said. 

My mom just stared at me with sad eyes, "I don't think that would be such a good idea." 

"Why not? What is everyone not telling me?" I demanded, frustrated and confused. "Start telling me what I did this summer. Did I go to the beach with Dean like we wanted? Did I have a fun summer?" 

My mom didn't know what to say. 

"Oh no, did we break up?" I asked. "What happened? Did he dump me?"

"Something like that," my mom said. "I only know what Tyler told me." 

"Tyler? When did you talk to Tyler?" I said, remembering our breakup back in November. 

My mom sighed. "Okay, let's start at the beginning. So you came home from school. Tyler, Josh and I were waiting for you. We had an awkward dinner. The boys invited you on their summer US tour. You were hesitant, but ended up going, anyway." 

"Wait, what about Dean? What about my plans with him for the summer?" 

"I guess you called them off... but you were still together. Because according to Tyler, he came to visit for one of their shows..." she paused. 

"And?" 

"And you kissed Tyler in front of him, so he walked out."

My heart sank. I couldn't imagine myself doing that. Especially to Dean. I loved him. I still do. 

"Then what?" I said. 

"Then you and Tyler got back together. I don't know the details. Then, you all came home for the last week of summer break. You said you had the flu. And I guess you had passed out the day before. Anyway, we sat down for dinner, and you passed out again. That time, it was for good." 

I leaned back into my pillows, absorbing all of the information. I didn't remember any of it. 

"We were so scared we'd lost you. I'm so happy you're okay," my mom said, tears in her eyes. 

Dr. Richmond came in, interrupting our conversation. 

"Good news! The MRI came back, with good results. It seems that you suffered very little damage to your brain. As for the memory loss, it's hard to say. It may come back today, it may never come back. But it was only a couple of months, and the important thing is that you're alive and healthy with most of your memory!" 

I frowned. 

"You really are lucky," she reinforced. "I thought you were a goner." 

"Anyway, we'll keep you here for a few more days, just to make sure everything is well, but it looks good!" she said. 

My parents thanked her. 

"Can I just have some time alone to think?" I asked politely. 

"Of course, sweetie," my mom said. "And here's your phone. You should call Tyler."

My parents left. 

I didn't want to call Tyler. I wanted to call Dean. I know we broke up, but I wanted to hear his side of the story.

After a few rings, he answered, "Jess?" 

"Yep," I said. 

"Are you okay? I mean I heard you were in a coma?" 

"How do you know that?" I asked. 

"Well I mean, you're not at school... people talk." 

"Oh right... school," I said. I hadn't even thought about school. 

"Well I'm glad to hear that you're awake. Are you coming back to school?" 

"Yeah, I guess. I mean I don't know when. I just woke up a few hours ago." 

"Oh," he sounded surprised. "Not to be insensitive or anything, but why call me?" 

"Because I lost all of my memories from the summer. I mean my mom told me what happened, you know, between us. But, the last thing I remember is kissing you goodbye at college, when I was getting ready to leave for the summer. We had plans to go to the beach and everything. I was in love with you. I still am." 

He was silent. 

"I'm sorry. I know what I supposedly did to you. I don't know how I could've done that. This must be a lot to take in. Trust me, it is for me too. It's just you're the first person I wanted to call."

"Okay, well I have to go, but how about you call me when you're out of the hospital and we'll meet up for lunch or something? And we can talk?" he said, kindly. 

"I'd like that very much. Thank you," I said. 

"Of course, I'll talk to you soon," he replied. 

I wanted to say "I love you," but instead I said, "Bye." 

I looked at my phone, to see that I had twenty seven new voicemails, all from Tyler. I listened to the one all the way back to August fourteenth. 

"I just needed to hear your voice. I know what the doctors are saying, but I know you'll come out of this I love you." 

August 15th: "It's me again. Come back to me." 

August 17th: "Guess who? I miss you so much. Please wake up." 

August 18th: "We're going back touring. I don't know how I'll focus on the shows. All I can think about is you. I love you so much." 

August 19th: "Jess I'm falling apart here. You can't be gone for real." 

I stopped listening. It was only depressing me.