Chapter 19

~three days later~

The wind whistles, picking up my hair and throwing it around wildly. It's cold, standing on the platform. Effie is crying, dabbing at her heavily made-up eyes with a dainty hand. Beside her are Katniss and Peeta, looking rather solemn having learnt of my predicament. I told them not two hours ago where I'm originally from. I couldn't tell them the full story, or Effie for that matter, considering I know none of it myself. Then, half an hour later, the Peacekeepers showed up. Rather shortly, they instructed me to pack my things because I was moving back to District 4.

''Don't cry, Effie,'' I say over the wind, trying to sound as unfazed by the situation as I possibly can. ''It's not goodbye. More of a see you soon.''

She shakes her head and sniffs, stepping forward and embracing me tightly. ''I can't believe they're sending you back! You've lived here for much longer than you've ever lived there!''

''I know, Effie. But it's Snow's orders.'' His name comes out bitter through my gritted teeth. I relax, remembering the two Peacekeepers standing ten feet away by the train door.

Effie takes a deep breath and let's go, stepping back before Katniss comes forward. ''I want to thank you,'' she tells me. ''For your mentoring.''

''Well, I'm not your mentor anymore. But I will give you one last bit of advice. Go with what Peeta said, train like careers. We might be up against each other in the arena - and honestly, Katniss, you deserve to win more than I.'' I smile weakly at her and pat her shoulders to stop her saying anything else. It's true, she does.

Peeta wastes no time in rushing up and hugging me with his strong arms. ''You!'' I laugh. ''I'm going to miss your baking!''

He withdraws and smiles. ''I can always visit until the Reapings.'' he replies, amused, but we both know that can't happen.

''Of course,'' I play along, grinning.

And then it's time to say my hardest goodbye. Haymitch has managed to stay sober since Peeta and I drained all of his liquor. And he still looks rough; eyes dark and raw, matted hair, dirty clothes. He wastes no word, simply wraps his arms around me. I press my eyes shut as I feel tears leaking from them, the fast rise and fall in his chest telling me he's crying too. If Haymitch and I are reaped...there's no way we could kill each other. He's far too important to me for that. He guided me through my Games, we helped each other guide other tributes over the past years. And today could mean goodbye for a while, as much as I don't want to admit it.

We only break apart when I hear the heavy footsteps of the armor-clad Peacekeepers behind us, following by their sharp voice. ''Time to go.''

Reluctantly, I remove my arms from Haymitch, take a deep breath and look at my closest friends for the last time, sending them a half smile, teary eyed, before boarding the train. The Peacekeepers step inside and shut the door with a slam before I can turn around and say goodbye for the last time. I don't even make it to the window to wave to them since they guide me through to my room. And then I'm alone.

I'm aware of the hot, salty tears rolling down my cheeks as I pull out some clothes from the drawers before undressing and making my way into the bathroom for a shower. As the steaming water flows, I crack. I bite my lip and rest a hand against the wall of the shower to steady myself as I shake with frustration and sadness. I spend the next half an hour crying myself out, my fingers now wrinkled and soft. I step out and shiver as the cold hits me, so I dry my hair, letting the warmth clear my head, but it doesn't work. All that happens is my hair falls into it's mass of wavy curls.

When I'm , I grab a soft blanket from the foot of my bed and walk back out of the room, into the hallway and through the next few carts until I end up in the sitting room, of sorts. It's entirely deserted, of course. I think I'm the only non-Peacekeeper passenger on this train. I sigh and slink down into the sofa by the window, blanket wrapped around my shoulders. I slide lower, raising my feet up onto the window ledge and lean my head back against the back of the chair, closing my eyes. It's dark outside, the scenery now changed from District 12 to District 2. In a few hours, I'll be in District 4. I'll also be twenty one. I slide lower, raising my feet up onto the window ledge and lean my head back against the back of the chair, closing my eyes.

When I wake up, it takes me a minute to realise I'm not in my familiar bedroom of District 12. Groaning tiredly, I sit up, rubbing the back of my neck as a harsh ache spreads through it. The light has returned, signalling early morning. I yawn and stand, just as I feel the train begin to slow. A Peacekeeper marches into the room, stony faced.

''We're here. Get your things.'' he says, void of all emotion, before walking back out.

Lovely 'welcome home'.

I take as long as I can to collect my things, delaying my arrival. I bite my lip as I step out onto the platform of District 4, blinded by the bright light. It's warmer here, and I find myself relaxing in the warmth I've missed since District4.

''Vivianna?''

I frown and step forward to find Finnick standing on the platform, nervous looking yet still smiling.

''F-Finnick? What are you doing here?'' I ask him, genuinely surprised he's not in the Capitol.

''Well, I sorta live here,'' he grins, bending one leg before straightening it - a funny little gesture.

It makes me laugh slightly. ''Ha. Ha. I meant on the platform.'' I say, tucking a stray wave behind my ear.

''I'm one of two living victors here, Mags being the other one. I came to greet you and show you to your new home,'' he smiles, coming closer and taking my bag for me.

I roll my eyes. ''Such a gentleman. Well, Odair - lead the way.'' I smile, waving a hand at him.

He winks at me and grabs my hand with his free one, setting off down one of the man lanes. I don't notice as people stare at us. They're most likely staring at Finnick.

''Everyone's staring!'' I whisper to him as we leave District 4's version of the square.

''Because we're both the most famous victors - besides Katniss and Peeta of course. They stole our thunder.'' he replies, sending a smile that flashes his pearly white teeth.

''You're too vain, you know that right?'' I shake my head in disbelief - at myself and Finnick. I've been off the train for ten minutes and already I'm laughing with a new friend. I still need to find out more, though. He's a new friend. Not an old one.

Finnick stops and looks at me as we reach the gates of Victors Village. It's similar to District 12's, only less run down. ''You know, that's the first thing you ever said to me.'' he smiles, but now it's a sad sort of smile, as if he's thinking back on a fond memory.

I sigh and drop his hand. ''Look Finnick, you must have me mistaken.''

''You'll see, Anna. I know it'll take time,'' he retakes me hand and looks at me. I feel shy, all of a sudden. ''You'll remember. I know you will.''

I hope I will.