Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Zoey

The jeep bumped as we drove. Carter drove, Jamie riding shotgun. Luke, Ava Allison and i sat behind, listening to songs, occasionally chatting, talking. That is how all of our trips and meets together start. No matter how many times we've met, after pleasantries there's a silence till a time barrier is crossed.

I remember this one time we went on a two day trip to a water park. Our parents expected us to be yelling and shouting. But there was a complete silence at the back where we sat. The parents laughed and talked like little children. Allison and I were relatively close, so were Jamie and Carter. But over time me and Carter were practically best friends, only Allison knew this. We reached a small cafe for a quick breakfast and after that we were all inseparable. God knows what happened, did that bacon in thyme and lemon do the trick? Or was it that carrot cake which made our tongues wag?

How long was it gonna take this time for the ice to break, i wondered.
These memories made me smile.
"we know you're crazy, dont smile at me that way", someone said, snapping me out of my reverie.
"crazy again?", Jamie teased.
"shut up Jamie", I said, my cheeks definitely red. He remembered.
"again? tell us. Tell us", Allison said eagerly.
"guys, its nothing. He's making it up", i said trying to defend something he hadn't even said. I was seriously dumb.
"sure sure", Jamie said, clearing his throat as though making a speech.
"so basically what happened is..."

I saw Carter smiling, his eyes twinkling with amusement. I gave a 'save me' to him. He gave a small nod. Allison saw this gesture and blushed. Ya ya, crushing like madhatter on him. Like everyone else.
"guys I'm hungry, can we wait someplace? Luke, any eating place close by?", he asked suddenly. Luke was great with maps and directions, and this hiking trail had been his idea.
"I'm about to tell a great story", Jamie said, annoyed at being interrupted.
"and I'm hungry", Carter stated plainly.
"okay. Let me figure this. So you have to take the second right. Yes from here. Then we'll retrace our path and start again", Luke said tapping his tab for instructions.
"thanks", i mouthed, hoping that Carter would get my lip sync. He looked in the mirror, and closed his eyes for just a second. He opened them and that tiny gesture was oddly calming.

After stopping for a quick meal, we soon made our way to our hiking trail. There was still an hour of drive left, and I took the wheel.
"why don't we tell stories?", Ava suggested.
What stories- squabbles started. Someone said horror, horror in the afternoon with the sun sweating down on us. Nope.
Romcoms? The boys groaned.
"no ways, something interesting", Jamie said.
And the arguments continued. Allison was sitting beside me telling me some funny story of what happened at her frat house.
"i thought Luke looked like a panda that day", she said laughing. And it struck me. Perfect.
"guys!!", i said excitedly.
"what we reached already? Nope not possible! You saw a dog?", Jamie asked. He knew my craze for dogs.

"noooe, I got the topic!", I said excited.
"yes?", Carter asked. I smiled. Carter was a great guy, i liked him. A little like a brother, a great friend, and my best critic no matter what I did. I never let it show that I had even a teeny tiny crush on him.
"we could tell our first impressions! If we remember. Like something hilarious or even serious. Or something we found stupid or whatever...like see something through another's eyes"
"but keep your eyes on the road. We dont want to die you know..seeing through another's eyes.", Carter chuckled making me glare at him.
At the same moment, Allison said,"That'll be fun" all the while blushing at what Carter said. Someone would think he complimented her. Or gave her a kiss.
"not bad zoozoo", Luke smiled. That made everyone laugh and my expressions furthered their mirth. It was his nickname for me.

"Zoey, stop the car please", Ava said. I hope she's okay.
"Allie come back", she said. Allison hopped out of the jeep, so did Carter. Allison wanted Luke to sit ahead with me. But Carter stopped her.
"I'll sit in the front. Jamie you first, coz you love storytelling", Carter said bossily and sat beside me. We started again.
Somehow I did not hear the story at all. I was glancing sideways, at the heartthrob of the girls, sitting beside me.
And like everytime, he pulled me cheeks like I was a kid (humph, i was NOT) and teased me.

"love you", he breathed.

***********************

Hope you guys enjoyed.

What do you think of Zoey so far? And Carter?

send me covers on instagram @lilacblueberries15

like. vote. comment

love

....S....

xoxo