Chapter 4

Dedicated to rohit_rm98 for being a wonderful friend!

********************************

 So if you love me, why'd you let me go? - violet hill (Coldplay)

Chapter 4

Carter

Was i out of my mind? Helping some unknown chick. Yea, and then getting angry with everyone, for...nothing! All because she looked like Myra.

What a fucking idiot I'd been! Zoey recognised it. She knew it. The moment she saw her. Myra. Her red hair. Mischievous eyes. Always alive, always full of fun.

That girl looked the same. But she wasn't her. No one, no one could fucking replace Myra. Ever.
Jamie and Luke asked me why I helped the girl. They knew i wouldn't flirt with anyone without being acquainted.

How could they say,"forget what's possessing you and let us all enjoy this together"

They went out and Zoey came in. Light brown hair, adamant grey green eyes. She said nothing, looking at me serenely.

"not gonna calm me down?", i asked, sure she'd burst into a fucking speech.

"naah, why should I? My purpose in life is higher than that", she asked simply, rather philosophically.
"you can cry if you want", she added teasing me.

That's when I realized why people called her the ' counsellor '. She had her own methods to help a person. Who says "you can cry if you want" just for teasing? She guessed it.
She wasn't wrong. But how the hell am I supposed to cry? In front of anyone?

"it's okay..you can cry..umm..in here. I'll go. And tell the others you're okay and that you'll be out in a moment", she said getting up. I pulled her hand back and she practically landed in my lap.

"ass", she laughed, swatting my arm.

She sat quietly not saying a word, lost in thoughts of whatever. I remembered how my mom used to hold me tight when something was wrong. When my grades weren't as good as i wanted them or when I lost a football match.

I rested my head in Zoey's lap, closed my eyes and listened to her hum some song.

A simple grey tee-shirt, cargo pants. And her earrings. Because the girl was crazy about them.
She ran her fingers through my hair,  oblivious to how pretty she was and how calm I felt already. Her other arm traced lazy circles around my elbow.

"are you planning to puncture my muscles or something?", I asked.
"you know you're a douche right? That's that's your bone. Not a muscle.", she spoke like a teacher. I hated biology. Chucked it the second I got the chance.
"and puncture, seriously?", she said pulling a face.

But damn, I remembered when me and Myra had those moments, that bickering, that smiling, fuck. Missed it.

"thanks", i said softly.
"anytime"

It felt good. It was friendly. Not romantic, just good ol' friendly. But I wanted Myra back. But I did not her back either. I wanted to forget her. And remember her.

"i know you want her back", Zoey said quietly. I stared at her aghast. Had i spoken that out loud.
"wwhhat? Howww?", I stammered out.
"chill, your expressions are pretty transparent..especially when I...umm..you know...already know about it", she said, not wanting to take her name.

We talked, me telling her in detail the shit that happened, she was the sympathetic listener. She cracked some stupid joke over my story, and I couldn't help laughing either. Damn, i was lucky to have a friend like her.

"do you think I'll forget her?", i quizzed.
"not so easily"
"how long? If you know"
"i read it somewhere...15-18 months if you love someone truly."

"i love her. More than football. I've stayed up with when some fucking character in One Tree Hill was hospitalized and Myra cried the whole time. And I missed a football match"
"woah, that's big", she smiled.

"yeah, but now should I move on?"
"maybe, but that's your call. Its not gonna be easy..you're forcibly forgetting someone here."
"and then what? fall for someone again?"
"why? I mean you flirt with girls round the clock. If you really start liking someone, it should come naturally. Or else she's just a rebound", Zoey said, almost spitting out the word rebound.

There she was, my amazing baby sis, sprouting words of wisdom. I never even realised that she wasn't eleven anymore. She still loved extra olives on her pizza, and hated the pickles. I got up and sat cross-legged beside her.

"but will i love anyone right?", i asked her the one question i couldn't answer. She knew how deep things had been with Myra. I compared her with everyone. And though a lot of people seemed better, Myra won always. And Zoey knew that. She had met Myra, and the two turned out to be good friends.

I knew Zoey would say a 'no'. She was brutally honest. Even if it meant having to hurt to people. And she was right. Anyone else would be a rebound.

"yeaa", she said smiling.
I couldn't hide my smile. I gave her a hug. A bear hug. She had said the best thing in the day so far.
"thank you for saying yes!"

"ahem ahem", someone coughed, who turned out to be Allison. That girl got on my nerves. If she got a chance she'd even tell me "i can't tie my laces, please help me".

Zoey looked like embarrassed. Why should she? We weren't dating or something. How much did she hear?

"if you guys have done your kissing, there's people out there", she said evilly.
"Carter, come out soon okay?", Zoey got up smiling and left the tent.

I stood up, just deciding that my shit shouldn't affect this hike. Actually the boys were right. I should forget what's bothering me. I couldn't ruin everyone's mood. I loved Myra. But time to move on.

I was at the entrance of the tent, just straightening my shirt when Allison kissed me. On the cheek, but a micrometre from my lips. I pushed her away roughly and went out to sit beside Jamie.
"thanks guys", I said looking around the camp fire.

But somehow everyone was looking at me shocked. I wondered why.
And then it hit me.

Allison hadn't really kept it private. Fuck.

****************************

Keep reading

🌟

love,

....S....

xoxo