Destruction of Arcadia

We were driving, driving through all the mess I made. All the destruction of Arcadia Bay will probably never leave my mind, no matter how hard I tried. Every time the thought considering if it was wrong to choose Chloe over the town, I stopped myself. I loved Chloe, not only was she my best friend but I also saw her as more than that. A soul mate. Instantly from the moment she dared me to kiss her, and I did, I felt some sort of connection. Despite her reaction, at least I felt something, yet I don't know if she too felt the same. I hope she did.

The car stopped in the middle of the town. I found myself identifying more dead corpses amongst all the wreckage. I felt Chloe's hand touch my shoulder. Not even she was going to make me feel better about what I did. Even if I had made the choice about sacrificing Chloe I don't think I would be able to live with myself after that. Especially after the fact I would have seen her die right in front of me. And yet I could have stopped it all by a simple scream or going through the whole fire alarm process again. Even if I had to relive that whole week of pure torture, I wouldn't mind since if it was another week with Chloe, then it was another week I would take. Plus, it was a tornado. How could an 18 year old girl known by the name of Max Caulfield (never Maxine) ever stop something like that? Maybe it wasn't my fault, maybe it was just a huge coincidence...I hope.

After Chloe was done attempting to comfort me, we proceeded to drive. As soon as we drove past the 'Welcome to Arcadia Bay' sign I felt a gush of relief. I turned to Chloe who seemed to be concentrated on driving.

"Chloe, can I ask you something?"

She moved her head in my direction for a split second to catch the curiosity on my face.

"Sure Max. What's up? Well besides the decision you just made. Sorry."

"If you had to make the same decision back there as I had, would you choose to sacrifice me or Arcadia? Be honest."

The car came to a sudden halt. Chloe looked at me with an angered expression but at the same time, scared.

"Max, no matter what you think, it was a brave thing of you to do. I wouldn't of even wanted to imagine myself in that kind of situation back there, it's horrible." Chloe dipped her head.

"This week has been the most amazing week of my life. Just seeing you again has made me have hope for life, hope that I had lost when my dad died, you bailed on me and Rachel, d-died." She started to choke the words.

"Chloe-"

"No. Max if I have to be honest, I wouldn't sacrifice you for jack shit. Even by seeing you for a few days has felt like years, and I want those days to actually turn to years, to then eventually, life. I love you Max, I may not show it sometimes but seeing you again has made me feel so much happier. So my answer is basically fuck Arcadia!"

I blushed, but I guess Chloe was so in the moment that she didn't realise what she had just said. At this time I was even thinking thoughts that Victoria had a right to live, even Nathan but Mr Jefferson seemed to have already taken care of that...

I opened my eyes from what must have been a long nap since when I gathered my surroundings, it was already night.

"About time you woke up! I was just about to do it myself but obviously that job has already been done." Said Chloe whilst pushing the handle to open up the car door. She made her way around to my side and opened it up for me. I slowly got out of the car. It was cold.

"It's freezing Chloe, where the fuck are we?" I asked whilst rubbing my arms in desperation to make some sort of heat source.

"There's a hotel over there, figured that we would spend the night there since knowing me I'll probably fall asleep whilst driving which is definitely not good..."