Chapter 2

[Freshly edited July 16th, 2021.]

Second Month of Autumn

Third Era, Year 326

Becoming friends with Caol was easy enough, but there were times when Ardan wondered why he tried. Those times usually came after Ardan sat through court meetings with King Leigh and his advisers, meetings where Caol was the subject of conversation while absent.

"They are still dedicated to trying to arrange a marriage for you," Ardan reported one afternoon two months after he'd come to the castle and one month after Gelwin had retired completely.

Caol didn't even look up from cleaning his sword. "I assumed that was why I was sent on a recreational hunt with a group of nobles from Algoma. Especially once the old duke decided to brag about his daughter's 'gifts' as if he knew them firsthand. I ended that conversation as quickly as I could."

Ardan crossed his arms as he leaned against the windowsill in Caol's bedchamber. "Someone said that, if you were anyone other than a prince, he'd petition to have you arrested."

Caol still did not appear concerned in the slightest. "I've heard it."

"What would they be arresting you for?" Ardan questioned, finally voicing his confusion. "Not being married by the age of twenty?"

"Something related to that, most likely."

All that did was change confusion into concern. He moved to kneel next to where the prince sat. "Caol, what is it? If you're in danger, I want to help."

Caol just smiled and shook his head. "It's nothing, really. But I appreciate the concern."

Not satisfied with that answer, Ardan kept his ears open to whatever gossip he could catch while around the court members. He heard nothing meaningful until he went to the kitchen one afternoon for a late lunch and overheard the mutterings of a castle servant.

"The Crown Prince hasn't taken a lover in almost three months. I thought for certain I might be next in line. He used to flirt when I brought him breakfast but now he almost completely ignores me."

Ardan was surprised to see that the grumbling servant appeared to be a man.

Another servant snorted. "What makes you think he hasn't had anyone? Maybe he just decided to skip you over."

"Byla cleans the royal suites and she says that if he's had a lover recently they've done the act elsewhere, which would be most unusual for him, especially because he's clearly slept in his bed every night."

Ardan was distracted by a kitchen servant placing a plate of food before him. He took it and the mead she offered and started back to his rooms, his mind turning over the new information as he walked.

Caol preferred male lovers. That was why he hadn't been married yet. That was why he was still childless at the age of twenty-four, which was apparently a rare and unwelcome thing at court. And instead of being disturbed by this news, he was rather curious.