Chapter One

Do you know how hard it is to lose the person you true and unconditional love?

The person you would wouldn't hesitate to take a bullet for, yet you turn your back for one second and they get hurt?

Clearly, you've never had that happen.

But I have.

******************************************

It started out as a normal day at the guild. Everyone was laughing and arguing over the dumbest things. The gleaming golden hair of a bronze eyed woman twirled as she layed her head down on the counter, seated at her favorite spot in the whole guild. The blonde heaved a sigh and shut her eyes, pondering an unknown thought. Long, white hair appeared in front of her face as the bartender, Mirajane, leaned forward, practically in front of the blonde's face. Raising her head, the blonde gave a soft smile.

"Hey, Mira.." the blonde chirped half-heartedly.

"Ne, Lucy, what's wrong?" Mira's eyebrows knit together in worry at the blonde, Lucy, who managed to shake her head slightly.

"It's nothing."

"Is this about a certain... nakama of yours?"

Lucy's face turned so red, Erza's hair could be put to shame.

"No! No no no no no no n-" Lucy shook her head back and forth fiercely as she crossed her arms over her chest. Mira had a feeling this would have gone on for quite a while if it wasn't for the arm that appeared out of nowhere, slung across her shoulders.

"Oi, Luce! Let's go on a mission!" the salmon-haired man exclaimed, pumping his free fist in the air.

"Aye!" the blue cat, Happy, agreed, then looked down at Lucy's face.

"Natsu, Luce is weird."

"Wha-- NO I'M NOT!" Lucy stammers, still red in the face from Mira's statement.

"Then why is your face all red?" Happy questions innocently.

"B- because-"

"Never mind Luce, let's go on a mission. We'll deal with her weirdness later, right Happy?" Natsu interrupts, grabbing Lucy's wrist.

"AYE!" he agrees as Natsu drags her out the guild at lightning speed, closely followed by the blue cat.

************************************************************************************

"Seriously, Natsu, you couldn't have waited 'till I was finished talking to Mira?" Lucy sighs as they get off the train where they met their client, who had requested dealing with a rare magical beast that had been tormenting his village.

"Nope!" Natsu beamed. "The whole guild wanted this quest, so we had to get there first!" He pumps his fist and spits out fire. "Take that Gray! I beat you!"

"Baka..." Lucy mutters as they head towards the cave were they were supposed to meet this 'fearsome beast.' Lucy had to admit; This quest made her feel a little.... uneasy. Something wasn't right here.

**(* Oh, and I should explain. Natsu isn't queasy because during the train ride, Lucy didn't want Natsu being sick in front of the client, so Happy carried him just above the floor. Turns out if he doesn't touch the moving object. he's fine.)

As they enter the cave entrance, Natsu seems to perk up a bit, sniffing the air before getting a really blank look on his face.

"Natsu?" Happy askes as he flies right in front of his face, waving his hand back and forth in front of him. Lucy hears this, and turns. She stops in her tracks and walks towards him.

"Ne, Natsu, dijobu?"

As she walks towards him, she sees he's mumbling. She leans closer and here him say 'It CAN'T be,' before the ground collapses underneath them and she lets out a small shriek.

***************************************************************************************

"Ow..." Lucy closes one eye as she rubs her head.'Well that hurt,' she thinks before looking around for the rest of her team. She calls out both of their names before she hears the familiar shriek of "LUCEEEE!" Before she even turns around fully, the blue winged cat collides with her.

"Happy!" She hugs him back before asking, "Where's Natsu?"

She feels the cat go stiff in her arms before murmuring, "Um, you were asleep for a while.... You missed a lot of things.. Er..."

Before she can ask what happened, the cat zips out of her arms and carries her down the long passageway she hadn't even noticed was in front of her.

'It must be pretty bad..' she thinks, 'Happy's not making jokes about how heavy I am.'

As they float down one last corridor, they see a very large winged creature disappear into the shadows, though Lucy could feel that is hadn't left. Looking around, she saw a tuft of pink hair poking out from behind a large rock. As so as Happy releases her, she races to the owner of the hair, covering her mouth as tears trickled out the corner of her eyes.

For lying there was Natsu, his eyes far to wide, but thankfully still breathing, though his chest was heaving. A large gash was running from his chin to his chest, and his shirt was torn to shreds.

"Oh, Natsu..." she leans in front of him, tears streaming down her face. He looks at her, and she places a hand on his cheek. His eyes soften for a second, then widen again. She turns to see the large beast, and what will happen flashes before her eyes. She understands what must happen, and large golden eyes stare into her soul, as if to somehow confirm her idea. It's wings spread, preparing to attack. She gets up to approach the beast.... better known as a dragon.

Before she approches the dragon, she turns towards Natsu.

Due to his sensitve hearing, he picks up the words," I'm sorry. Wait for me, please. I'll be back as soon as I can..."

She turns around as she runs toward the white and gold dragon, which could only be determined at such a close range. They exchange a look before a blinding light flashes and Natsu screams, "LUCY!!!!!!"

*********************************************************************************

Heeeeey.

I started and finished this story 1 or 2 years ago for my bestie, who sadly does not have Wattpad. So, in honor of her birthday, I am rewriting the story for all to see.

I hope you like the story!