Chapter one

A perfectly fine Tuesday morning, in the opinion of Arthur Pendragon, had just been horribly interrupted.

  Arthur rubbed his forehead and picked himself up off the floor. He quickly scanned the hallway in able to find out who knocked him down. His question was answered as he saw a man poke his head around the corner.

  “Sorry!” He exclaimed, offering a goofy smile, “I’m in a bit of a rush.” And just like that, the man disappeared again.

  “Jeez,” Arthur grumbled to himself. He wiped dust off of the white coat he often wore and started to walk again. Such an interruption caused Arthur to cross paths with Morgana, who is his sister and his coworker.

  “Oh, Arthur! I need you to do something for me.” Morgana stopped Arthur. Arthur narrowed his eyes.

  “What do you want me to do?”

  “We need some more medical books from the book store and I have a patient right now. Can you go get them? You know where to go, and I’ve already told the owner to hold the books we need,” Morgana said.

  Arthur considered this for a moment, then accepted Morgana’s request.  “Only since I have no more appointments for the next two hours.”

***

    A bell was sounded when Arthur walked into Dragon Books. He looked around the place.  Book shelves were scattered around the carpeted floor, with groups of shelves clumped together based on genre. The checkout desk was placed right next to a hallway that contained an office or two, and Arthur thought he could smell the scent of Pine Trees drifting around the place…there must be a candle somewhere.

  There was no sign of anybody being inside of the shop. Arthur hoped someone actually was in the shop, or at least hoped that someone would come to the front desk. He did not have any time to waste.

  Thankfully, though, Arthur didn’t find himself standing alone for long. A door opened in the hallway and someone walked into the opening of the book store.

  “Oh, sorry sir,” Someone said, “I thought I heard the bell ring, but I wasn’t exactly too sure…”

  The person finally came into view and Arthur was stunned for a moment, for the man looked quite familiar.  Plus, it wasn’t hard to admit, this man was quite good looking. Once you got past the goofy ears, his curved cheekbones, pure black hair cut to the tip of his ears, and cheerful smile that made his bright blue eyes twinkle was very appealing to the human eye.

  When he finished marveling at the young man’s looks, Arthur realized why he seemed so familiar. “You’re the bloke who ran me down earlier!”

  The man rubbed at his arm nervously.  “Sorry ‘bout that. I was in a rush to come back here for work. Gwaine couldn’t make it to work today and Elena’s not working ‘til tomorrow,” He explained to Arthur, though Arthur had absolutely no clue as to who Gwaine and Elena were.

  “Well you’re lucky I wasn’t racing down the hall with someone doing open heart surgery,” Arthur reminisced to an event that had happened a few days ago at the hospital. Obviously Arthur was getting distracted from his main reason for coming to the book store, so he got back down to business. “Does the owner happen to be around?”

  “I am the owner,” He said.

  “What happened to Gaius?” Arthur asked.

  The man narrowed his eyes, “He got old and passed away. Since he was my uncle, I inherited the shop,” He explained, “I moved here to London not too long ago. By the way, my name is Merlin.”