Chapter 48

Emerald's POV

I didn't realize that I had fallen on my butt to the floor until Damon came over to me.

"Are you alright? What happened?" He asked, bending down to check on me.

I guess he wasn't prepared for when I started cracking up into hysterics. I laid back on the floor, clutching my stomach as I laughed. Damon looked bewildered at my actions and I was laughing so hard tears started to come out.

He stayed next to me until I sobered up, though. I finally stopped laughing and sat up.

Moon goddess, we need to talk. I said in my mind with my eyes closed, hoping it worked. We needed to talk about why on earth she'd play this type of joke.

I was actually surprised when I opened my eyes and the moon goddess was standing in front of me. She had a beautiful smile on her face and she looked even more perfect than she normally did in the light of this room.

"See, you didn't need my 'cryptic' warnings after all, daughter." She said, her voice like a melody. Damon's head snapped up to her and I'm guessing she let him see her his time as well.

"I'm glad to see you've had your laughs, so please take it off." I told her, still being respectful because she was a goddess but I was not very happy with the goddess either.

The goddess's smile didn't fade. "Darling, I don't play jokes on my children. I also don't take things away. Especially from what could possibly be my most important creations." She admitted, and I ran my hands through my hair.

"Don't let him see you." I said, and suddenly Damon looked at me.

"Emerald, don't keep me out of the loop here. Let me see her again." He said. I shook my head and faced the goddess again.

"He's not going to be happy I won't allow him to see me while you can." She said, a slight frown on her face and her beautiful smile gone.

"That's okay. I'm not telling him until you reveal that this was all a big late April fools prank." I replied, and she nodded.

"It's good that you aren't so believing, it makes you stronger of a person, even though it might be frustrating. But my child, when have you heard of a time where the moon goddess herself has ruined one of her children's lives? This is the answer to all of your problems, and it's been your destiny long before you were even a thought in your mother's mind. It's also his destiny, and you not telling him about this could mess everything up. Daughter, this isn't a punishment. It's a gift." She told, and I shook my head.

"I can't handle this gift! I don't want it and I'm sure he doesn't want it either. Take it back, please." I practically begged.

"Emerald, tell me what the hell is going on!" He said, exasperatedly.

The goddess gave me a sad look. "If you don't fulfill your destiny, everything as you know it will crumble beneath your feet. I understand that this is a huge undertaking and you don't feel prepared for it, but anybody whose ever had any sort of power wasn't ready to take it when they did. Darling, if you don't try and figure this out soon, the events that will occur in the near future will ruin you. I know you'll do the right thing, and I am so very proud of you and Damon."