Chapter 3

Ginger was lead into the clearing of the pack's camp by Cactusstar and a dog named Ripplemist, the dog with light brown fur and white splotches, that she called her deputy. Cactusstar told her that the pack was called The Pack of Shining Night, but some dogs called it NightPack for short.

Cactusstar suddenly jumped onto a very large, tall boulder, and signaled for Ginger to follow.

She yelled, "Let all who are old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Great Boulder!"

Ginger was astonished at how many dogs came out of their dens when Cactusstar called for them. To think she thought the few dogs in the clearing before was a lot! There were black dogs, white dogs, short dogs, tall dogs, and so many other kinds of dogs!

Ginger realized some of the dogs were whispering to each other and staring at her. She started to squirm and began to feel a bit awkward.

Cactusstar started to talk to the pack, "Today, as some of you know, Meadowpaw found this dog in our territory."

Ginger heard more murmuring, and it started getting louder.

Cactusstar continued, "We have decided to allow her into our pack."

Protests suddenly erupted and rang throughout the clearing.

"You're allowing this dog into the pack?"

"She's probably just a fat, lazy, owned dog!"

"She has Captor scent on her!"

"Look! She has a collar!"

"Enough!" Cactusstar yelled. "I have discussed with Ripplemist and Mintglow and we have decided to allow Ginger to stay, if only to test her skills to see if she is worthy."

"Until then though, she will train as an apprentice." Cactusstar signaled for her to stand next to her.

Ginger nervously padded up to her.

"Sunlily," Cactusstar said, with certainty in her voice, "You will be mentor to Ginger. I trust you to train her well and report to me about Ginger's warrior abilities."

"But," Cactusstar quickly continued before more protests sounded, "She will not be named Ginger."

What? thought Ginger, feeling confused and slightly scared. What does she mean?

"Ginger," Cactusstar declared, "You will now be known as Brightpaw, until you become a warrior for the pack, or return to your Captors."

Brightpaw turned over her new name in her head. Brightpaw. Brightpaw. It sounded strange, but she liked it.

Brightpaw, she thought. I am Brightpaw.